Synthetic winch rope vs steel rope

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

mdmikejones
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Synthetic winch rope vs steel rope

Postby mdmikejones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Thinking about using synthetic .... Would love some feedback.

Do I need to mod my winch in any way ?

I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of synthetic vs steel
BLK00TJ
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Re: Synthetic winch rope vs steel rope

Postby BLK00TJ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 pm

mdmikejones wrote:Thinking about using synthetic .... Would love some feedback.

Do I need to mod my winch in any way ?

I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of synthetic vs steel

I think you'll need to replace the roller fairlead with a hawse fairlead.
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong
john3676

Postby john3676 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Rope sucks it breaks dry rots and it will let u down right when u need it. It's also a pain in the ass to keep frome knotting up on the wench.
Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Postby Cowboy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 am

Steel cable sucks it kinks, rusts, strands break and it's greasy making gloves mandatory...which you will remember to pack after you get stuck. If you're not careful spooling it in it will end up loose and when you use it will pull the strands down in the coil jamming it and you'll never get it spooled back out.
'16 JK Rubicon
'14 Unlimited JK Rubicon
'10 H-D Street Bob
'05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon (gone)
'87 Wrangler Laredo (gone)

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
frosty

Postby frosty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 am

I'd take synthetic over cable about 90% of the time and 100% of the time where we wheel. I can live with the dry rot and needing to maintain it and know it has a service life (which cable does as well its just longer)

You can use your rollers so long as they arent all beat up from the cable. Otherwise you can get derlin (I think) replacement rollers or a hawse fairlead.

Pros:
Rope will just drop when it breaks, you can splice it in the field if/when it does. Its lighter and much easier to handle. Its just as strong as cable. It floats, it doesnt kink, wont rust etc. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Cons:
Cost more, has a shorter life span especially if not cared for. Needs abrasion guards or you can cut it if you arent careful. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

Long and short both styles need maintenance and inspection which will provide a longer service life.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]
mdmikejones
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Postby mdmikejones » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 pm

GREAT feedback guys ... Thank you so much
john3676

Postby john3676 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:02 pm

:lol: I gess I use the rope more than most do (as suck down in comp) and that shit broke the first time I needed it. Weld splatter is what made it fail. In a strate pull rope is the way to go. And if u need speed in pulling out the line, rope would be nice. But for the guy wheeling 3 to 5 times a year at RC or BDs I think cable would give you a long reliable life. I had cable on the YJ when I picked it up. It was on there when Kane built it. I think he did 2 seasons with it then sold it to this other dude. He had it for one season. I compt it one season with no problem. A solenoid went up and picked up a Sittybilt with rope. PITA to load up the rope! You got to get that shit tight on there or the rope will pull thrue the spool and never come in tied. Then the first time I needed it in a comp it broke. So frome that I pass my experience on to you.
halltrail
The Board
The Board

Postby halltrail » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm

frosty wrote:I'd take synthetic over cable about 90% of the time and 100% of the time where we wheel. I can live with the dry rot and needing to maintain it and know it has a service life (which cable does as well its just longer)

You can use your rollers so long as they arent all beat up from the cable. Otherwise you can get derlin (I think) replacement rollers or a hawse fairlead.

Pros:
Rope will just drop when it breaks, you can splice it in the field if/when it does. Its lighter and much easier to handle. Its just as strong as cable. It floats, it doesnt kink, wont rust etc. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Cons:
Cost more, has a shorter life span especially if not cared for. Needs abrasion guards or you can cut it if you arent careful. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

Long and short both styles need maintenance and inspection which will provide a longer service life.

X2
99 TJ, 3spd auto, 4.5" BDS Lift, JKS 1.25" BL/1" MML, SYE, 36" TSL Bias, D44 rear - ARB locker, HP44-spool upfront, 4.56 gears, Hydro assist.
Typhoon

Postby Typhoon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:21 am

Everything frosty said.

I will never have steel cable again
slvrjp00
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby slvrjp00 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 pm

I would pick syn over steel 10 out of 10 times. The biggest reason I say that is most people not know proper winch safety and rope is just the safer option. The syn I have on my Jeep I bought used not even sure what brand it is but is atleast 8 years old and it does break from time to time but its easy to splice or what I do is just tie it to a d ring shackle and keep going. I've never used mine as a suck down winch or in competition so I cant comment on John's issues with syn rope.
I would rather smash my nuts with a rubber mallet than listen to you tell me how cool your jeep is!
RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad
JeepGuy21

Postby JeepGuy21 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Only comment to add is what John already meantioned. I had to use my Smittybilt winch yesterday on a line on tombstone (made it to the top but couldnt make it over the last ledge.) I have used the winch maybe once or twice the entire year. For myself the cost of purchasing rope is not worth the hundred + dollars. I also am very careful when using mine to prevent any damage by guiding it in after winching, also my jeep sat most of the year inside the garage so it was out of the weather. Need to re-install my winch cover but other than that no complaints other than the release handle can be a bit funny.
halltrail
The Board
The Board

Postby halltrail » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm

it really comes down to safety and weight savings for me. Id rather spend $280 on a rope line then useless gear for the jeep. Steel cable works great when kept with in safety parameters...and has for a long time. Just dont want to be around when someone does something stupid with it.
99 TJ, 3spd auto, 4.5" BDS Lift, JKS 1.25" BL/1" MML, SYE, 36" TSL Bias, D44 rear - ARB locker, HP44-spool upfront, 4.56 gears, Hydro assist.

Return to “General Tech”