It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm 
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Thinking about using synthetic .... Would love some feedback.

Do I need to mod my winch in any way ?

I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of synthetic vs steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 pm 
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

mdmikejones wrote:
Thinking about using synthetic .... Would love some feedback.

Do I need to mod my winch in any way ?

I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of synthetic vs steel

I think you'll need to replace the roller fairlead with a hawse fairlead.

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm 

Rope sucks it breaks dry rots and it will let u down right when u need it. It's also a pain in the ass to keep frome knotting up on the wench.

06 Dodge 5.9 2500
HD Megacab Longbed on 37s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 am 
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Steel cable sucks it kinks, rusts, strands break and it's greasy making gloves mandatory...which you will remember to pack after you get stuck. If you're not careful spooling it in it will end up loose and when you use it will pull the strands down in the coil jamming it and you'll never get it spooled back out.

RCROCS Class 1 #629 Team Minor Threat
'05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon
'14 Unlimited JK Rubicon
'10 H-D Street Bob

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 am 

I'd take synthetic over cable about 90% of the time and 100% of the time where we wheel. I can live with the dry rot and needing to maintain it and know it has a service life (which cable does as well its just longer)

You can use your rollers so long as they arent all beat up from the cable. Otherwise you can get derlin (I think) replacement rollers or a hawse fairlead.

Pros:
Rope will just drop when it breaks, you can splice it in the field if/when it does. Its lighter and much easier to handle. Its just as strong as cable. It floats, it doesnt kink, wont rust etc. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Cons:
Cost more, has a shorter life span especially if not cared for. Needs abrasion guards or you can cut it if you arent careful. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

Long and short both styles need maintenance and inspection which will provide a longer service life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:12 pm 
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

GREAT feedback guys ... Thank you so much

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:02 pm 

:lol: I gess I use the rope more than most do (as suck down in comp) and that shit broke the first time I needed it. Weld splatter is what made it fail. In a strate pull rope is the way to go. And if u need speed in pulling out the line, rope would be nice. But for the guy wheeling 3 to 5 times a year at RC or BDs I think cable would give you a long reliable life. I had cable on the YJ when I picked it up. It was on there when Kane built it. I think he did 2 seasons with it then sold it to this other dude. He had it for one season. I compt it one season with no problem. A solenoid went up and picked up a Sittybilt with rope. PITA to load up the rope! You got to get that shit tight on there or the rope will pull thrue the spool and never come in tied. Then the first time I needed it in a comp it broke. So frome that I pass my experience on to you.

06 Dodge 5.9 2500
HD Megacab Longbed on 37s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm 
The Board
The Board

frosty wrote:
I'd take synthetic over cable about 90% of the time and 100% of the time where we wheel. I can live with the dry rot and needing to maintain it and know it has a service life (which cable does as well its just longer)

You can use your rollers so long as they arent all beat up from the cable. Otherwise you can get derlin (I think) replacement rollers or a hawse fairlead.

Pros:
Rope will just drop when it breaks, you can splice it in the field if/when it does. Its lighter and much easier to handle. Its just as strong as cable. It floats, it doesnt kink, wont rust etc. Probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Cons:
Cost more, has a shorter life span especially if not cared for. Needs abrasion guards or you can cut it if you arent careful. Maybe some others I'm forgetting.

Long and short both styles need maintenance and inspection which will provide a longer service life.

X2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:21 am 

Everything frosty said.

I will never have steel cable again

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I would pick syn over steel 10 out of 10 times. The biggest reason I say that is most people not know proper winch safety and rope is just the safer option. The syn I have on my Jeep I bought used not even sure what brand it is but is atleast 8 years old and it does break from time to time but its easy to splice or what I do is just tie it to a d ring shackle and keep going. I've never used mine as a suck down winch or in competition so I cant comment on John's issues with syn rope.

RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm 

Only comment to add is what John already meantioned. I had to use my Smittybilt winch yesterday on a line on tombstone (made it to the top but couldnt make it over the last ledge.) I have used the winch maybe once or twice the entire year. For myself the cost of purchasing rope is not worth the hundred + dollars. I also am very careful when using mine to prevent any damage by guiding it in after winching, also my jeep sat most of the year inside the garage so it was out of the weather. Need to re-install my winch cover but other than that no complaints other than the release handle can be a bit funny.

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: RockCrawlinJeeps

frosty wrote:
Your yearly "free" replacement plan sounds like a solid idea. I mean who doesn't love changing out ball joints yearly. :flipoff:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm 
The Board
The Board

it really comes down to safety and weight savings for me. Id rather spend $280 on a rope line then useless gear for the jeep. Steel cable works great when kept with in safety parameters...and has for a long time. Just dont want to be around when someone does something stupid with it.