F350 7.3L Diesel Injector Job

Need someone to hold that Pro Rock 60 for ya? Put those requests here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

F350 7.3L Diesel Injector Job

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

This weekend (Sunday) I plan to tackle this job that i have been putting off for a while.
This is everything that i can think of at this moment. Im fairly sure i have forgotten something and im sure rj91jeep will be along shortly to remind me.
:popcorn: :popcorn:
Inviting anyone that wants to come and help. Ill provide food and beverages.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: F350 7.3L Diesel Injector Job

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm

OrangeSpear wrote:This weekend (Sunday) I plan to tackle this job that i have been putting off for a while.
This is everything that i can think of at this moment. Im fairly sure i have forgotten something and im sure rj91jeep will be along shortly to remind me.
:popcorn: :popcorn:
Inviting anyone that wants to come and help. Ill provide food and beverages.
made an edit.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 pm

What time?

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:06 pm

I'll be there around 7am. I'll be moving the van out and moving the truck in.
There is probably 1-2 hours worth of removing stuff before I can access the valve covers.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:38 pm

ImageImage

So far so good. 4 injectors out and 2 cups out. Started at 8:30am.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:10 am

hmmm sorry about the double picture post above. Well all is done and so far so good. Im really amazed at how much power i regained by doing this repair/upgrade.

Above are the injector cups installed. That is what took the longest. I missed it in the instructions that they needed to cure for a minimum of 12 hours.

Injectors in.

My phone has a iPhone has a habit of thinking its dead, no matter the battery percentage. So no good pictures or videos from this point on for the injectors.

We started videoing the initial crank because it's supposed blow out a huge cloud of smoke. Which it did. But my phone died at the moment it started to run.

Thank to those that came out and lended a hand.

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 am

So it is a noticeable difference with a standard program or with your mod on? How many miles do you have on your truck? I am at 256K I think and was wondering about a injector and turbo update later on this year possibly. Many other things in line before that possibility but good to look at it. Anything you learned to make the work easier?
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 am

Toaddragon wrote:So it is a noticeable difference with a standard program or with your mod on? How many miles do you have on your truck? I am at 256K I think and was wondering about a injector and turbo update later on this year possibly. Many other things in line before that possibility but good to look at it. Anything you learned to make the work easier?
It is a VERY noticeable difference. I converted my 7.3 to single shot injectors, so i have to have a mod computer chip always now. The chip tells my computer how to handle single shot injectors (stock for my truck was split shot injectors)

I did not need to upgrade my HPOP with the injectors i went with. Any larger injectors and i would have needed to upgrade that too.
I have 2 upgrades on my Turbo, the wheel (cant remember the exact wheel but its something like this) and a Banks Big Head Wastegate

I also upgraded the fuel handling/routing system with the =http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-rai ... ffRaff FRx. This is to help with the lack of fuel that sometimes plagues cylinder #8.

I have a little over 250K miles on the truck and the injectors i pulled out where the OEMs.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:15 am

Toaddragon wrote:So it is a noticeable difference with a standard program or with your mod on? How many miles do you have on your truck? I am at 256K I think and was wondering about a injector and turbo update later on this year possibly. Many other things in line before that possibility but good to look at it. Anything you learned to make the work easier?
You have a 6.0? i cant remember.
Anyways i have a family friend that is a Ford diesel truck mechanic and when i was talking to him about what i should expect for this job one of the things he insisted on was for me to use caterpillar antifreeze ELC.

He said that when they were having all those issues with the 6.0 cooling systems, they switched to this antifreeze and it fixed almost all problems related to coolant system.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket from a local Caterpillar shop for $68. Used every drop.

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 am

Yes I have the 6.0, knock on wood its a solid motor. I want to do a full service soon, Change every fluid and do a full rear brake job. After having to rewire the lights on my trailer yesterday evening in the rain I realize I need to give that some love as well. Man does the list ever end. I will find a local Cat dealer and pick some up, Thanks.
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 am

this larger repair/upgrade was part 1 of 2.

Part 2 which will take place in about 2-3 months is: After this, i have no further plans other than regular maintenance.