258 Carb help - come help me and I'll pay for drinks and foo

Need someone to hold that Pro Rock 60 for ya? Put those requests here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

ShoreCJ

258 Carb help - come help me and I'll pay for drinks and foo

Post by ShoreCJ » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi All,

New jeeper here. Just about finished up my 15 month CJ5 resto but I can't get the carb ironed out on my 258. I know very little about carburetors, this is my first non-FI vehicle. Can't seem to get idles set correctly and getting sputtering and the occasional backfire. I live about 20 minutes from the bridge so after we get this thing running good I will pay for food and drinks at the spot of your choice around the narrows. Or we can take the boat out and get some drinks and/or go fishing. Whatever you want to do while on the shore. let me know if you can help. I can do a weekday or weekend.

Secondly, anyone know a good place on the shore or around AA county to get the front end aligned and camber corrected? If someone can do a good garage job the same offer as above stands. 33" tires with very noticeable positive camber.

ReneDave

Re: 258 Carb help - come help me and I'll pay for drinks and

Post by ReneDave » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Cool project, hope to see it soon. As for carbs, well, I've done my darnedest to rid myself of them as far as the toys go and I'm also doing my best to forget what I've had to learn fiddling with them over the years. Without knowing which carb you have, though, I can tell you there's three things I start off with when troubleshooting idle issues:

The idle mixture screw, making sure it's set properly and not fouled or damaged - look for a groove around the needle or cracks in the carb housing where it seats.
Making sure the jets are cleaned and (probably not something you need to deal with) the proper size.
Checking for air leaks around the base of the carb and the intake manifold.

With a little googling you should be able to work your way through those steps in an afternoon.

As for the alignment, are you sure you mean positive camber? A solid axle shouldn't have that sort of problem unless the ball joints are shot. I've never used a shop to align my Jeep, much less a leaf spring one, so I can't recommend one authoritatively, but if you look for off-road shops in Annapolis you should find some that could handle that sort of thing.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

ShoreCJ

Post by ShoreCJ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I replaced all ball joints. Perhaps I do not have something seated correctly but both front wheels visually look like they are pointing out at the top evenly so if I did something wrong I must have done it wrong on both sides. I am going to take it to a local shop that does alignments and and see what he can come up with.

I will keep playing with the carb and if I can't get it running smoothly I will just take it somewhere. I already have twice as much money in this thing as I planned so was hoping to not have to pay a tech full rate. It says it is a Uremco but I believe it to be the 2 barrel carter type everyone says is finicky.

m-l_johnny

Post by m-l_johnny » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 am

ShoreCJ wrote: I already have twice as much money in this thing as I planned
:lol: :lol:
Welcome to the world of Jeeps, especially CJ's.

Sorry, I have nothing of value to add to this post...
Hi. I'm Johnny.... And I'm a Jeep addict....

'76 CJ7 money pit of fun.
pics here

I am not Jonny Throttle.

Yes, I really am as stupid as I look.

jeepboy

Post by jeepboy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:48 pm

When those carbs stop working correctly, you will have bad idle. If it's original carb chances are are it toast!! I've had many jeeps with 258 and none of them idled properly! It sucks! I've rebuilt and no luck, but I have bought aftermarket and had some success, so good luck with that. I did buy a weber carb for one of my jeeps and ran pretty good. Good luck
Got JEEPS.....

ShoreCJ

Post by ShoreCJ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:00 am

Well since my original post I decided to take it to a local shop after I was told they have a "really good jeep guy". They did get it idling/running well and told me one of my problems was I had a vacuum line running from the PCV to the carb and that was essentially a vacuum leak so they capped the carb port. After the 2 mile ride home in which it ran great I noticed some fluid dripping. I popped the hood and oil had sprayed out of the dipstick tube and gone everywhere. I checked my service manual and there is defiantly a reason for the vacuum line. So I put that back on. Seems to still be running good.

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 am

Lol. Yes, there is definitely a purpose to that vacuum line! If it gives you more trouble try re-capping the bung on the carb, and running a small cone filter on the end of the vacuum line with it zip-tied somewhere high and out of the way.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

ShoreCJ

Post by ShoreCJ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:14 am

when the carb was capped the PCV was open to the air and it still didn't relieve pressure. I'm guessing there has to be a little vacuum to actually open the valve? It apparently didn't open from pressure inside the valve cover since it blew the oil out of the dip tube even though the valve itself had no cap.