Moab 2016

Moderator: Board of Directors

JeepGuy21

Moab 2016

Post by JeepGuy21 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 am

MOAB.

An offroader's paradise and the mecca of four wheel drive trails.

This is my adventure.

Over the past couple of years I have spent a weeks worth of vacation to travel the country and enjoy my passion; offroad motorsports. Starting in 2014 I flew to the Johnson Valley desert in southern California for King of the Hammers. Last year I went south to climb the steep hills at Black Mountain in Harlan county Kentucky. This year I needed to cross a big destination off my four wheel drive bucket list, which was Moab.

I had taken leave for my trip several months in advance so I had plenty of time to finish prep. (sarcasm.) The few weeks leading up to the trip I spent several nights at Will's workshop finishing miscellaneous projects. I cannot thank both Will and Brett enough for their help; especially after deciding to get street rod plates for the bus a couple weeks before leaving. Brett took care of renting our condo, so we loaded up on Labor Day and headed west.

We left Frederick, MD around 1pm and got on Rt. 70. Brett had ordered a brand new enclosed trailer for our trip which started to sway very badly only a few miles in. We made it safely to our first fuel stop just before the Pennsylvania turnpike and adjusted his Jeep to help with the trailer sway. I have driven very few toll roads in my life and made a costly mistake on our first day, always stop and get a toll ticket! Brett rolled through with an E-Z pass and with no gate attendant present I followed suit. Sixty dollars later I was able to exit the turnpike. Live and learn. We continue our journey on Rt 70W into West Virginia and through Ohio. Rinse and repeat at every single truck stop. Use the restroom, refill the Walmart Yeti, swipe the credit card at the diesel pump and clean the bugs off the windshield. Painfully monotonous. We concluded our first travel day at around midnight in Indiana.

illyb
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Re: Moab 2016

Post by illyb » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm looking forward to the rest of the write up, bud. To include:

- Women of all ages throwing themselves at the bus at fuel stops,
- Spool pavement hops and MT/R payment painting that had the EPA on the edge of their seats,
- Drivelines nearly coming completely apart multiple times on multiple vehicles,
- The near-need to bust out the fire extinguishers on multiple occasions,
- Us both staring at clouds getting our jeeps into and out of interesting situations,
- "That'll do" MacGyver fab that held up to tough trail runs,
- Projectile handheld radios

And last, but not least: complete domination of the toughest trail in Moab on BLM property in record time.

Trail Guide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2008 JK on Jack Stands

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 pm

It's not a wheeling trip if the school bus isn't shitting out driveshafts.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:11 pm

sherwoodiv wrote:It's not a wheeling trip if the school bus isn't shitting out driveshafts.
:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Post by Cowboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:34 pm

I was hoping to see trail pics by now...or at least walk of shame for breaking down on the side of the highway.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'10 H-D Street Bob
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Cowboy wrote:I was hoping to see trail pics by now...or at least walk of shame for breaking down on the side of the highway.
It is easier for me to break up the writing into chunks, you will have to be patient. :flipoff:

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Frederick, MD

ImageUntitled by Dylan Bedwell, on Flickr

Indiana

ImageUntitled by Dylan Bedwell, on Flickr