Big Dogs Spring Fling Recap 2013

Moderator: Board of Directors

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Another wheeling trip at Big Dogs is in the books. For anyone who has never been you need to make an event! Ill write my recap below...

I finished working on my Jeep at about 4:30am on Thursday. I had done my maintenance checks but decided I wanted my light bar for night wheeling. It look awhile to install but it was worth it. The light output is crazy! I had everything packed and ready, I left Westminster around 4pm after meeting up with some of my buddies. The trip down went farely smooth, however I had been hearing some type of clicking/poping from the right side axle. We pulled into the gas station within 10 miles of the Cove and it started clicking very badly. After refueling, we did some checks in the parking lot, and no obvious broken parts. We made the decision to limp it to camp and would repair it after we had gotten unpacked. We arrived at our camp spot and I went to move the Jeep and it wouldn't start. Great, I have a broken axle and I can't even start the Jeep to repair it! I carry a spare fuse/relay for my ARB compressor and swapped it for the starter. Boom! Fires right up. I went to move the Jeep after camp finally got setup (in the rain and in the dark) and its dead again. No clicks or anything. I called it a night and would repair it in the morning. (I never did check the axle :lol: )

Friday we made our way to the main area and checked in for wheeling. We had spoken to John and he helped us map out some trails. We went out on our own and explored for a few hours. We called it a day around noon and headed back to camp. We headed to town and stopped at Walmart, ABC, and AutoZone. $175 later I had a brand new starter ready to be swapped it. Laying on a tarp in the mud and rain, I dropped the Halltrail engine skid and swapped the starter, we determined that my OEM had a bad/dead spot so replacing it on the trip would be best in case of any other issues. I went back to the camp 6 mud pit to watch my friends make a run and claim their $50 and called it a night.

Saturday morning I met up with Will, Brad, Spence and Tyler for a mini MJC meet and greet / trail run. We spoke with John and decided that we would run by ourselves for the day. Props to Will (bigbirdcj) for being a great trail guide. We stopped by Bunny trail and watched the Hitman buggy make quick work of one the hardest trails in the park. We continued to V trail followed up by ET and U Turn Easy and U Turn Hard. We made our way back to camp on Wahoo. The day was challenging as traction was difficult and alot of bumping and right pedal was needed. We finished the day at the main area for a bonfire party but they couldn't keep the fire going due to the rain. I used my LED bar to keep the big rock pile lit for anyone who wanted to try!

Bunny Trail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT37F7ucaYk

V Trail Hill:

On Sunday I met back up with Will, Spence and Tyler, Brad had decided to leave early for the day. We ran Pennsytucky (awesome trail) which took us most of the day to complete. After finishing the trail, Will blew a brake line on the CJ so we called it a day and headed back to camp to pack up. I had a ok weekend, but due a muddy / rainy campsite and multiple breakdowns with my Jeep it could have been better. Its just a part of wheeling!

Some photos from Pennsytucky:

tyler

Re: Big Dogs Spring Fling Recap 2013

Post by tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 pm

badass!

GRAHAMontherocks

Post by GRAHAMontherocks » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Had a great time guys. We did some fun wheeling. Can't wait till the next one.

bigbirdcj

Post by bigbirdcj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 am

I agree, it was great to get to run with you guys. I'll try to get some pics off the wife's phone and post up.
'67 CJ-5
'79 CJ-7
'03 Rubicon

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:02 am

Will tell your wife she did a great job with the pictures! Looking forward to some other ones!