Rollover this weekend

Moderator: Board of Directors

JeepGuy21

Rollover this weekend

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 pm

I was up at Rausch Creek yesterday and witnessed my first rollover at Trail 5 hillclimb.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0mSpuMaqM

Aftermath:

Driver was OK except for a few cuts and probably feeling pretty sore today.

I have a full cage and harnesses in my Jeep already but I am going to buy a helmet to carry along now when I want to do an extreme obstacle. Check and make sure your gear is tied down properly and if you want to do the hard trails come prepared!

frosty

Re: Rollover this weekend

Post by frosty » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:20 pm

He should have let off when he first started getting sideways. There was no getting straight with throttle on that one.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Oh snap! That F'rs tagged too. Hope he had a trailer.

When I saw this thread, I thought for sure it'd be a green TJ that rolled. :)
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:36 pm

frosty wrote:He should have let off when he first started getting sideways. There was no getting straight with throttle on that one.
From what I remember is that he panicked when the Jeep got sideways and tried to get over into the bushes so he wouldn't do a full roll down the rock face. He still ended up doing a hard roll anyway. Not much he can do now. He is OK and thats what matters.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm

BLK00TJ wrote:Oh snap! That F'rs tagged too. Hope he had a trailer.

When I saw this thread, I thought for sure it'd be a green TJ that rolled. :)
He towed the XJ so it was only a quick drag back to the trailer. I won't be trying it anytime soon.

illyb
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by illyb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Way too much skinny pedal... I'm glad that the driver made it out ok. His rig obviously didn't, but the good news is that it can be repaired. Skulls are much harder to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2008 JK on Jack Stands

redsandman6

Post by redsandman6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 am

frosty wrote:He should have let off when he first started getting sideways. There was no getting straight with throttle on that one.
I agree. He should have stopped. Then he could have winched straight, he didn't have a winch, so he would have needed some help. I did not see a spotter in the video. IMO lack of experience and no spotter were why he rolled. but the best thing is he was alright. How many vehicles were in his group? were the vehicles in the pictures part of his group or did they stop to help?

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am

redsandman6 wrote:I agree. He should have stopped. Then he could have winched straight, he didn't have a winch, so he would have needed some help. I did not see a spotter in the video. IMO lack of experience and no spotter were why he rolled. but the best thing is he was alright. How many vehicles were in his group? were the vehicles in the pictures part of his group or did they stop to help?
We had a group of 4 Jeeps, the larger rock buggies had passed us on trail 5 and were doing the hill climb when we got there. One Jeep in our group had made the climb already so the Cherokee wanted to give it try. After the roll we had the driver out within a matter of a few seconds and rolled back over within less than a minute. (The other group helped us roll it back over.) One of the rock buggies pulled it off the tree and we winched it back to the green trail to tow back to the trailer. Not much we can do now since it has already rolled but learn from the experience for future wheeling trips.

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Looks like it could have been driven out (or wheeled the rest of the day), what got hurt that it couldn't? Once it looks like that, it's not like it'll get much uglier!
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Count me out for wheeling that the rest of the day. The driver side roof is a little to compressed for my comfort.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Boodyrider wrote:Looks like it could have been driven out (or wheeled the rest of the day), what got hurt that it couldn't? Once it looks like that, it's not like it'll get much uglier!
If we really had to, hi-lift the roof back in place for clearance, remove the grill and windshield, plug the radiator to stop the leaks and fix the fan. He did drive it up on the trailer.
frosty wrote:Count me out for wheeling that the rest of the day. The driver side roof is a little to compressed for my comfort.
X2

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 pm

He should sell those wheels and tires. I'll take 'em. :)
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 pm

BLK00TJ wrote:He should sell those wheels and tires. I'll take 'em. :)
Doesn't hurt to ask him? Still trying to get myself a set of beadlocks, changing tires on the trail suck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yell ... dex24.html

slvrjp00
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by slvrjp00 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Ive made that line a few times in my jeep and failed at it more than I can count. That second ledge that he hit and turned him sideways can be tricky and at times the hammer the throttle attach will work. so all in all I think his attempt was good and just ending poorly instead of trying to turn out he should have gone into reverse and backed out of the roll. Glad driver is okay.
I would rather smash my nuts with a rubber mallet than listen to you tell me how cool your jeep is!
RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad