CB install

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

Post Reply
MetalYJ
Trail Rated
Trail Rated
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 pm
Location: Hagerstown, Md

Re: CB install

Post by MetalYJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:07 pm

yea lift up lambo swing out like drivers door lol
89 YJ 4.2l Stock..............for now

User avatar
98ZJHagerstown
Trail Rated
Trail Rated
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: CB install

Post by 98ZJHagerstown » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:22 am

alright I guess it's either going to end up being mounted in one of three places: hood, driver's side, or roof... if I find a way to attach a mounting plate to my factory roofrack will I get a sufficient ground? doesn't seem as though I would and i don't think I want to use a magnet mount... so hood or side?
98 ZJ 5.2L
92 XJ 4.0L

Beer is Good... People are Crazy...

User avatar
Turtle
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Turtle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:09 pm

If you don't mind mounting it to the roof rack, you can get a bracket that will clamp on to it. I had my last XJ set up like that. But . . . a word of warning . . . I ripped it off going through a parking garage. Forgot I had it up there.
'06 LJ - Skyjacker and Superlift suspension, Moab wheels, 32" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Halltrail sliders, HiLift, KC Daylighters, etcetera

20 Jan 2013 . . . Change I can believe in.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

User avatar
Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?
Posts: 7110
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Bel Air
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Cowboy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:03 am

You'd still want to have a spring on it with it mounted to the roof rack. The main issue I see with mounting it to the roof rack is providing the proper ground plane, but I know folks mount them up there. If you do, get a mount that can be loosened and swiveled (pivoted like a marine/boat antenna) so when you're not ont the trail you can have it laying flat and not have to worry about the parking garages or fast food drive throughs, etc. ripping it off.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

User avatar
Turtle
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Turtle » Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 am

Hey guys, just a thought . . . i just saw in the new Quadratec catalog that they have packages with a mount and Firestik that comes "pretuned for Jeeps" . . . . . Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, eh? Aren't these things supposed to be tuned to each individual vehicle and radio?
'06 LJ - Skyjacker and Superlift suspension, Moab wheels, 32" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Halltrail sliders, HiLift, KC Daylighters, etcetera

20 Jan 2013 . . . Change I can believe in.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

User avatar
wesleypipesyo
Autoerotic Post Whore
Autoerotic Post Whore
Posts: 9199
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:46 pm
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by wesleypipesyo » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 am

Turtle wrote:Hey guys, just a thought . . . i just saw in the new Quadratec catalog that they have packages with a mount and Firestik that comes "pretuned for Jeeps" . . . . . Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, eh? Aren't these things supposed to be tuned to each individual vehicle and radio?
Call Eric.... I had mine 2 days after I ordered. Works great.
:jeff
jeepboy wrote:I'm not a fan of electric lime so I'm in!
NavinRJohnson wrote: And I was like: you want an angle grinder to the face old man?
clicky

01-20-13

User avatar
dickyB
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by dickyB » Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am

wesleypipesyo wrote:
Turtle wrote:Hey guys, just a thought . . . i just saw in the new Quadratec catalog that they have packages with a mount and Firestik that comes "pretuned for Jeeps" . . . . . Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, eh? Aren't these things supposed to be tuned to each individual vehicle and radio?
Call Eric.... I had mine 2 days after I ordered. Works great.
someone didnt read the post...

I believe the tuning is all based on the height of the antenna in comparison to your ground. so technically it could come pretuned. but if you add a spring, then its thrown off
NavinRJohnson wrote:Lord loves a working man
Don't trust Whitey
See a doctor and get rid of it

User avatar
wesleypipesyo
Autoerotic Post Whore
Autoerotic Post Whore
Posts: 9199
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:46 pm
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by wesleypipesyo » Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am

dickyB wrote:
wesleypipesyo wrote:
Turtle wrote:Hey guys, just a thought . . . i just saw in the new Quadratec catalog that they have packages with a mount and Firestik that comes "pretuned for Jeeps" . . . . . Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, eh? Aren't these things supposed to be tuned to each individual vehicle and radio?
Call Eric.... I had mine 2 days after I ordered. Works great.
someone didnt read the post...

I believe the tuning is all based on the height of the antenna in comparison to your ground. so technically it could come pretuned. but if you add a spring, then its thrown off

Yea, That is why I said "works great". Mine does not seem to need to be tuned. I am sure it would work better if I did. But as of right now, it works great.
:jeff
jeepboy wrote:I'm not a fan of electric lime so I'm in!
NavinRJohnson wrote: And I was like: you want an angle grinder to the face old man?
clicky

01-20-13

User avatar
98ZJHagerstown
Trail Rated
Trail Rated
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: CB install

Post by 98ZJHagerstown » Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 am

swr meter is like $25... it's worth the investment even if you have a crap CB and especially with a nice CB as high SWR can fry it
98 ZJ 5.2L
92 XJ 4.0L

Beer is Good... People are Crazy...

User avatar
Turtle
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Turtle » Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

Yeah, I've got a CB, just need to buy a new mic and antenna for it. Figure I'll swing by that truckstop in Millersville and grab that stuff before the next ride.

That package just seemed like sort of a joke to me. I think it was like close to $100, too, which seems like a rip-off to me. I mean, an antenna is like 30 and the mounts can't be much more than that, right? I will probably just borrow someone's meter when I get that stuff, or do it at a wrench day.
'06 LJ - Skyjacker and Superlift suspension, Moab wheels, 32" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Halltrail sliders, HiLift, KC Daylighters, etcetera

20 Jan 2013 . . . Change I can believe in.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

User avatar
Jacks or Better
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2218
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 am
Location: Eastern Shore
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Jacks or Better » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 am

Turtle wrote:Yeah, I've got a CB, just need to buy a new mic and antenna for it. Figure I'll swing by that truckstop in Millersville and grab that stuff before the next ride.

That package just seemed like sort of a joke to me. I think it was like close to $100, too, which seems like a rip-off to me. I mean, an antenna is like 30 and the mounts can't be much more than that, right? I will probably just borrow someone's meter when I get that stuff, or do it at a wrench day.
I've got a 4' firestick you can have Mike. It's one of the "trim to tune" ones.. but it's free.
This Edit Button has been remade for PAT! Image

Image

User avatar
Turtle
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Turtle » Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 am

Jacks or Better wrote:
Turtle wrote:Yeah, I've got a CB, just need to buy a new mic and antenna for it. Figure I'll swing by that truckstop in Millersville and grab that stuff before the next ride.

That package just seemed like sort of a joke to me. I think it was like close to $100, too, which seems like a rip-off to me. I mean, an antenna is like 30 and the mounts can't be much more than that, right? I will probably just borrow someone's meter when I get that stuff, or do it at a wrench day.
I've got a 4' firestick you can have Mike. It's one of the "trim to tune" ones.. but it's free.
Awesome! Thank you, David! I'll just fab up a mount for it, in that case. Do I remember correctly that you have your's mounted to your driver's side tail light housing? Maybe I'm just crazy.
'06 LJ - Skyjacker and Superlift suspension, Moab wheels, 32" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Halltrail sliders, HiLift, KC Daylighters, etcetera

20 Jan 2013 . . . Change I can believe in.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

User avatar
Jacks or Better
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2218
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:42 am
Location: Eastern Shore
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Jacks or Better » Mon May 11, 2009 6:23 am

Turtle wrote:
Jacks or Better wrote:
Turtle wrote:Yeah, I've got a CB, just need to buy a new mic and antenna for it. Figure I'll swing by that truckstop in Millersville and grab that stuff before the next ride.

That package just seemed like sort of a joke to me. I think it was like close to $100, too, which seems like a rip-off to me. I mean, an antenna is like 30 and the mounts can't be much more than that, right? I will probably just borrow someone's meter when I get that stuff, or do it at a wrench day.
I've got a 4' firestick you can have Mike. It's one of the "trim to tune" ones.. but it's free.
Awesome! Thank you, David! I'll just fab up a mount for it, in that case. Do I remember correctly that you have your's mounted to your driver's side tail light housing? Maybe I'm just crazy.
Mine's mounted in the license plate housing. Which is okay but I plan on moving it up eventually.
This Edit Button has been remade for PAT! Image

Image

User avatar
Turtle
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Annapolis, MD
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by Turtle » Mon May 11, 2009 10:30 am

Ahh, that's what I was thinking of. Yeah, I was looking behind the spare, and it seems easy enough to fab up a bracket to mount it behind the spare, I'm just worried about that making it difficult to take the top down. I'll have to play around with it.
'06 LJ - Skyjacker and Superlift suspension, Moab wheels, 32" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Halltrail sliders, HiLift, KC Daylighters, etcetera

20 Jan 2013 . . . Change I can believe in.

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

User avatar
dickyB
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Contact:

Re: CB install

Post by dickyB » Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 am

teraflex makes a really nice mount that goes on the spare tire rack. I have it and it works great. doesnt get in the way of the top at all
NavinRJohnson wrote:Lord loves a working man
Don't trust Whitey
See a doctor and get rid of it

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest