Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Re: CB install

Post by Cowboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:26 am

webbera wrote:anyone have any experience with the Midland 75-822
I am looking to use that as my CB in the Jeep with external antenna.

Do you think it would be worth buying one off eBay where the shop says it has tuned it?:

Synthesizer alignment
Receiver alignment
Transmitter Alignment and TX
Audio BOOST-AMC adjusted for 100% maximum audio (without distortion)
Nope. Wouldn't even consider it. Handheld CBs suck. Having the head unit as a vehicle based: hold it in your hand, plugged into the cig lighter, and connected to an external antenna. Even worse if you expect any kind of reliability/performance. Get a "real" CB, doesn't need to be a trucker CB, and dang sure not one that is "tuned". Go back and read the first post in this thread, it is still relevant today…even if the links don't work.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

mmacro
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by mmacro » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:14 pm

A tuned CB or HAM radio can't be done the way they are talking... You have to install it (antenna, feed line, etc.) and use a SWR meter to adjust the length of the antenna and other components that are part of the radio. Someone that says its tuned and ready to go is selling you a story.

(I have a CB and a 4-band HAM rig in my TJ... On a good day when the atmospheric conditions are right, if I'm stationary and using a directional antenna I can hit Europe on the 10 Meter HAM band)
/ l ,[____],
I---L---OIIIIO-
(.)_) (.)_)----)_)

'04 Wrangler X
Banks Ram-Air; XHD bumper w/ Warn m8000 winch; JKS Quicker Disconnects; 2 Hella 4000 fog lights & 2 Hella 4000 Euro drivers
Tuffy Overhead w/CB & quad-band HAM transceiver
beat-up, old military M100 trailer w/pintle hitch (awsome 4x4 trailer)

mmacro
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by mmacro » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:16 pm

And when I'm upstate NY, where there is spotty cell service in the mountains I can fire up the HAM and hit a repeater that has a phone patch. Using the radio/repeater I can make telephone calls over the HAM radio in my TJ.
/ l ,[____],
I---L---OIIIIO-
(.)_) (.)_)----)_)

'04 Wrangler X
Banks Ram-Air; XHD bumper w/ Warn m8000 winch; JKS Quicker Disconnects; 2 Hella 4000 fog lights & 2 Hella 4000 Euro drivers
Tuffy Overhead w/CB & quad-band HAM transceiver
beat-up, old military M100 trailer w/pintle hitch (awsome 4x4 trailer)

webbera
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by webbera » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm

mmacro wrote:A tuned CB or HAM radio can't be done the way they are talking... You have to install it (antenna, feed line, etc.) and use a SWR meter to adjust the length of the antenna and other components that are part of the radio. Someone that says its tuned and ready to go is selling you a story.

(I have a CB and a 4-band HAM rig in my TJ... On a good day when the atmospheric conditions are right, if I'm stationary and using a directional antenna I can hit Europe on the 10 Meter HAM band)

I figured it was a story that is why I asked. Thanks for the confirmation.
When life gives your rock… stack them precariously and drive to the top.