Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Pinky's Scrambler project

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:36 am

another build thread...

So this project started with my wife (MJC member Pinky) becoming interested in jeeps too. However if she was going to drive one she only wants a CJ8. I myself have 2 CJ7s but she doesnt care for them. So now we are adding a CJ8 to the mix.

The build really started before i even purchased the CJ8. I had already started acquiring parts as I came across them. A year before I even purchased the CJ8 I had already purchased a Ford T18a, Dana 300, the advanced adapter to marry those 2, RE extreme 4.5 lift springs, 5 rims, and 5 37inch tires.

It took me some time to locate a CJ8 that I was willing to purchase. I was after 2 things: tub in good/ok condition and a frame that was in great/good condition. This was harder to do that I thought, but after several months a friend of mine found one for me and off to PA we went to look at it.

It was a CJ8 and Cj5 combo. what I mean is that the seller would not sell me his CJ8 unless I also took his junked out CJ5. First i tried to talk him out of that but the seller stood his ground and i eventually agreed. It wasn’t that I didn’t want this rusted out thing that used to be a CJ5. It just meant 2 trips or 2trucks and trailers to get everything. Luckily I had a good friend come through and he drove up with me and with his truck and trail too.

so here are some pictures of that day...

The CJ5 combo
after we gutted the entire drive train out.

Next thing was to decide what motor to use. For me this was an easy decision. I already have a CJ7 with a 302 V8 5.0, so this helps when troubleshooting cause I already have something to go look at.
So now the hunt is on to find a good running 5.0. Welcome my next find, the 1990 Ford Bronco. With a great running 5.0. That is the only thing great about this poor abused truck. Underneath the pass side door there was 6-8 inches of the frame MISSING!!

Once these major parts where obtained it was time to start.

First we spirited the CJ8 tub from frame
Youtube video of this pull

Then started the stripping process.

rust spots that need attention:
ImageX2

The frame is the main reason i bought this scrambler.

old tires with the new tires
Next came pulling the engine out of the bronco. This proved to be harder than we thought due to the overall decay of the frame and body. A lot of cutting was done.

So this is as far as i have gotten in 2 weeks of working on it. Also thanks to those who have helped out so far, Big thinks to Ryan (rj91jeep) and Chris (JeepKid87yj). Im sure i will be thanking more indaviduals later in this thread.

to make things easier i ordered the motor mounts from Novak for this motor to a CJ frame.

currently im hunting down a Ford 9 rear axle out of an early bronco 1966-1977 and I have found a front dana 44 out of a 77ish Cherokee chef (yes RkyMtnH im talking about you here).

all pictures - including these in this post and more are in this picasa album
Last edited by OrangeSpear on Wed May 01, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toaddragon

Re: Pinky's Scrambler project

Post by Toaddragon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 am

Awesome, I was wondering when you would get around to posting the info on the build. Glad the find it working out but I dont remember seeing that much rust, looks like some work to clean the tub up. Cant wait to help turn some wrenches on this new build and see the final product.
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 am

Toaddragon wrote:Awesome, I was wondering when you would get around to posting the info on the build. Glad the find it working out but I dont remember seeing that much rust, looks like some work to clean the tub up. Cant wait to help turn some wrenches on this new build and see the final product.
I think i forgot to mention this, but i believe you were the one that found this CJ8 for me. Just giving credit where it's due.

slvrjp00
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by slvrjp00 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

Congrats on the CJ-8. Cant wait to see how this project turns out.
I would rather smash my nuts with a rubber mallet than listen to you tell me how cool your jeep is!
RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad

john3676

Post by john3676 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Sweet!

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. When I stop over, I'll make sure I bring some :popcorn:
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

GRAHAMontherocks

Post by GRAHAMontherocks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm

You work on it during the weekends?

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

GRAHAMontherocks wrote:You work on it during the weekends?
So far only weekends.

rj91jeep

Post by rj91jeep » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm

RkyMtnH wrote:Looks like a lot of fun. When I stop over, I'll make sure I bring some :popcorn:
bring a front axle and steering box with you. Beer too. the fridge is starting to look alittle dry :lol:
--RMJ Fabrication--
91 Yj built 4.0L- currently being rebuilt
86 Cj7 - still got the body and title. one day it will be a jeep again
2000 F250 BOMBED 7.3L- towrig/DD

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm

rj91jeep wrote:
RkyMtnH wrote:Looks like a lot of fun. When I stop over, I'll make sure I bring some :popcorn:
bring a front axle and steering box with you. Beer too. the fridge is starting to look alittle dry :lol:
Sounds good to me. Just ordered a hitch today for my truck so get your trailer ready for me. :mrgreen:
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

ripster

Post by ripster » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Looking good! I need to stop by and check it out.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 pm

the weekend update.

I was finally able to aqcuire the rear axle i was wanting to use. Its a Ford 9 out of and early Bronco. I think this is out of a '72 but not 100% sure. It did however already have the gears in it that i was going with. But I needed to double check that it really was 4.10 so out with the 3rd member. I counted the teeth, 37 on the big ring and 9 on the little one. This means its 4.10. really its 4.11 but not sure why we call it 4.10.

I forgot to take any pictures of the axle before I took it all apart.

The next day was spent grinding, cutting, and priming. The wife (pinky) wanted to participate so she came out this day and did all of the grinding with the angle grinder and a twisted wire knot brush. Those pictures will come shortly. She wants to post them. We also cut off the old perches and where the shocks once were.

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Mon May 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Looking good Cory, but I hope your tetanus booster shots are up to date! :lol: The 4.10 vs 4.11 thing is due to different teeth counts because, well, a manufacturer did it the way they wanted to do it instead of settling on a hard and fast standard. 41 ring gear and 10 pinion gear teeth give you the 4.10 ratio, 37 ring gear and 9 pinion gear teeth give you the 4.11 ratio - the 0.24% difference is negligible, even on dry road.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Mon May 02, 2011 3:24 pm

thanks for that info.. Im going ford 4.11 in both front and rear. They are just coming from 2 different vehicles.

PINKY

Post by PINKY » Mon May 02, 2011 3:47 pm

So they say if there's no pix then it didn't happen so...
There I am working on my Scrambler
Thanks to Jason for cutting off the perches
And thanks to Ryan for everything
'82 CJ-8 Scrambler 5.0EFI