Pinky's Scrambler project

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Pinky's Scrambler project

Post by OrangeSpear » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 am

the brakes was just one thing on the short list of things to adjust this weekend.

The front shackles were an issue too. After all was done and installed the shackles laid almost completely horizontal. So they needed to be cut off and moved forward about 3 inches. This was also a chance to upgrade the the mount at the same time with larger bushings.

old ones cut off.

new ones soon to be welded on.
much better angle

Decals were also one thing i wanted to get to this weekend.

Cutting out "SCRAMBLER" and "Jeep 5.0V8"

Also spoke with with Bestop and we are working on a return and refund for the soft top.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 am

Nice job on the brakes. Never even thought about that pushrod lol.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am

[quote="OrangeSpear"]brakes are working now. The 8 stops real good now and if I so desired i can lock the brakes up.

The main problem was the the thickness of the fiberglass wall. That part of the fiberglass wall is double layered with a steel plate in it making it thicker than the OEM steel wall. So the piston coming out of the booster was not traveling as far as it should into the MC. Once that was adjusted and lengthen, I had brakes.

Thank you to all that helped and gave advice.[/quote]

Dang, I forgot all about the rod. well glad you got it all figured out and you have solid brakes now. The jeep looks great!!!
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

opinion time...

Before the front shackle issue was fixed I already had a clearance issue with my rear tires rubbing on the rear of the fender well. Now that the front shackles are fixed, the 8 sits in a kinda pre-runner stance.

When we set the rear ford 9 in, we already adjusted the pinion angle for lift.
The rear shackle is 5inches. How do you feel about going to a 7inch shackle?
I was also going to start slowing sanding/grinding the rear fender well back, thoughts?
(this is not the inside but the outside of the body that is rubbing and im afraid that its going to hit hard and crack and do more body damage to the rear panel)

not the greatest picture but this is the best one i could find that i had already taken in the past.
It kinda shows some of the pinion angle.

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Just saw it going down rt 30. Lookin' pretty damn good!
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 am

yup. transferred it home.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Need help on the SoftTop install. So i sent the Tigertop back and now have the SuperTop.

the side rails on the tub are where im scratching my head.
The installation is assuming that it is a steel tub.

so to hold down the side rails im supposed to use these.

however in a fiberglass tub you cant use these. the walls are solid, with no lip.

Advice?? Help??? past experience?
thank you

rj91jeep

Post by rj91jeep » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 pm

i would just use big self-tapping screws with washers to hold the rails and bows down.
--RMJ Fabrication--
91 Yj built 4.0L- currently being rebuilt
86 Cj7 - still got the body and title. one day it will be a jeep again
2000 F250 BOMBED 7.3L- towrig/DD

W3CSX

Post by W3CSX » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 pm

If the rail did not need to removed every season when you switch tops. I would agree with Ryan's Idea. It will only take a time or two for self tapers to strip out the fiberglass. How solid and thick is the fiberglass in this area? There is still lip there. Is it possible to drill all the way trough and use longer screws?

If not I'm thinking about using a nutsert that can be set into the fiberglass. Then they will also be there to hold the hard top down too.
'07 JK Rubi 2 door.
RE 4.5", 35" MT's, 4.88's, Warn M8000, On board Air, Ham Radios, Skids, and a few other toys.

"The more one spends and adds to his Jeep, the more one discovers he needs to correct, spend, and then add again, to fix that which didn't exist before the initial expenditure and add-on..."

W3CSX

Post by W3CSX » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 pm

This is the kind of fastener I"m talking about. They are installed just like a pop rivet. I have the tool to set them but doubt I have the insets you will need with out ordering them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blind-rivet-nut ... %26ps%3D54

I'm not 100% sure they will stick in the fiberglass. But if you want to try it. I have some smaller ones we can press in and test how they will hold. Then order the right ones if it is a go.
'07 JK Rubi 2 door.
RE 4.5", 35" MT's, 4.88's, Warn M8000, On board Air, Ham Radios, Skids, and a few other toys.

"The more one spends and adds to his Jeep, the more one discovers he needs to correct, spend, and then add again, to fix that which didn't exist before the initial expenditure and add-on..."

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 am

W3CSX wrote:This is the kind of fastener I"m talking about. They are installed just like a pop rivet. I have the tool to set them but doubt I have the insets you will need with out ordering them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blind-rivet-nut ... %26ps%3D54

I'm not 100% sure they will stick in the fiberglass. But if you want to try it. I have some smaller ones we can press in and test how they will hold. Then order the right ones if it is a go.
I like this option.

in the mean time, i think i will use large self tapping screws to hold down the side rails and then later use those same holes to drill larger and insert the nutserts. I just need to get the top on soon.

Brent Borgaard

Post by Brent Borgaard » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Can you use the soft top body rail, as a templet? To drill in for that hardware.
How did i spend four grand on parts in one month?

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 am

im going to continue this conversation from over here.... back to the build thread.
OrangeSpear wrote:We had a good time while it lasted.

Either Ryan (rj91jeep) or Beth (pinky) had to much fun with the scrambler. Something went Ka-Boom in the rear house. With such force that a gear tooth sticking out of the ford 9 house.

So far so good. The carrier looks ok, but there was a lot of metal in the gear oil - not good.

ohhhh, thats what exploded.

I already stopped at the junk yard and they have more Ford 9 carriers, so this is hopefully going to be a simple fix. Im assuming that i can just swap in a different carrier and all will be good. (with the same gear ratio)

So after going to the junk yard, craigslist and general places online looking for a new ford 9 carrier I have decided to go with a Posi. I bought this

I was looking to obtain 2 carriers and keep one open for street and the other locked with spool in it for wheeling. Mike at One Fine Wrench suggested that i get a posi and after explaining it more to me, i decided to go that direction.

thoughts?

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:35 am

nevermind... not getting a posi

Just talked to AOI and i need to determine if the Axle house is bent first.

OrangeSpear
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by OrangeSpear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm

So the axle housing is not bent.

just ordered new spider gears, yukon 31 spline axle shafts, spartan ford 9 locker, spartan dana 44 locker and brake shoes/drums.

All should be installed in time for the Newbie ride.

Thanks to Mike at AOI.