Wiring is mostly complete in the dash and ready to install. Grounding was and still is an issue.
Now that the dash is in and mostly connected, The cage can be lowered in.
wired the cage up first. Adding the TJ sound bar, the surfboard and pink led lights under the seat rails. The surf board houses the CB and all dome lights are wired in.
Seats are going in... (dome light works)
and now for one of Pinky's favorite features of the 8, the LED pink lights. They come on with the radio and have 16 modes. They can pulse and dance to the music or just do what you set them to do. The radio (which is installed in the center console) is on its on switch. I did this so that we would have the option of listening to the radio without having to use the key. (this is either a good idea or a bad one, time will tell) The lights are powered from the same switch but they have their own controller so they can be turned off.
Hood and both fenders are on by this point. You can also start to see some of the custom graphics that will be going on the 8. My wife is a graphics designer and I have a vinyl plotter. So i am able to do all of my own vinyl work. (which we do sell)
We went with the Bestop Tigertop. For the most part this is only 2 softtops for the 8 that are still being manufactured, that i was able to find new not used. Both of them are sold by Bestop. So far i am not that happy with the quality of this top at ALL.
This top was chosen because the sides and rear windows roll up and are not removed. This seemed like the best option for my wife. It would be easier for a person her size to roll them up rather then remove them and attempt to put them back on. And we do like the look of the Safari.
- That said quality is questionable so far. The top arrives in a box that has been pieced together from multiple other boxes and taped up to look like a square box.
- most of the contents in the box were just rolling around. Some were in baggies and some was just loose. Like the little hitch pins were just floating around. You need 4 and we can only find 3.
- the part that screw onto the windshield is in 2 pieces. One was painted and the other was bare metal.
- the instructions say to slide the top in through the windshield channel ends. When doing this it cant make it past the first large seam that is sewn in. IT RIPPED! so now the top ripped trying to slide it into the windshield channel. It is a small rip that is on the inside of the seam. But when you spend $1100.00, you dont want it to rip that easily. We took a large screwdriver and made the opening slightly larger so that the seam would actually fit in the channel past the sharp edges of the starting point.
- when you roll up the sides it has 3 straps that are hanging for you to snap the rolled up sides into. Attempting to unsnap them i ripped the first snap in the strap and the other 2 straps were extremely hard to snap shut.
- The wing nuts that were provided to screw the door channel frame together would not fit. I had to run a die on the threads to get the wing nuts to tighten.
- I also called Bestop before this purchase to ask them about the doors. I had seen the video that they have on YouTube and I have seen images posted around the internet from vendors and they pretty much all show different style doors. So i called and asked them, Do the doors that come with Tigertop have the window in the bottom of the door or is it solid fabric on the bottom. Cause i did NOT want the door with the window on the bottom. Guess what i got? The door with the window on the bottom. The complete opposite of what i was told.
- The instructions talked about the door needing these 4 tube collars to make the door complete. Well we can only find 3 collars. But the door is already one piece. So im assuming that they have updated the frame in the door but are still shipping old instructions and parts. (and not even all of the parts)
Well, on with the show. Not sure anything can be done but i thought i would share.
Next we took it on a mini test drive. Up the street and back.
(front bumper is not installed yet cause we are fighting a power-steering leak and it is easier to work on it without the bumper and wench in the way.)
[also the softtop snaps are not installed. I would like for the top to be warmer before i install the snaps. so in the next few days when it gets to sit in the sun and get hot, i will then install the snaps.]
While we are letting it sit there and idle, i noticed things starting to shut off. First the radio, then the lights, then the blower motor was hardly spinning.
Well you probably guessed it. It wasn't charging. Next thing to troubleshoot. It is a brand new alternator but new things have been DOA before.