M416 Trailer

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

Toaddragon

Re: M416 Trailer

Post by Toaddragon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:03 pm

cool, I was going to suggest just going through Maine but it was worth a shot for MD.
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 am

Toaddragon wrote:cool, I was going to suggest just going through Maine but it was worth a shot for MD.
Yep, Maine tags. :lol: Maryland won't accept it how it currently is (no vin/title) unless I am able to get additional documents. Maine will accept the bill of sale and I believe the serial number on the data plate. I can get a plate for 5 years and no inspection needed.

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm

You could do it in MD jsut say its a "home made" trailer.
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Nice score on the trailer Dylan.
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Toaddragon wrote:You could do it in MD just say its a "home made" trailer.
Yes and no. It would be alot of hassle to get it registered as homemade. I would need to strip any military features off the trailer, provide receipts for lights, wiring, tow setup, etc... like I was actually building a trailer. Plus need to submit photos to MVA, get it inspected, sign a bunch of towing documents, vin and title issued, etc... Alot simpler to go through Maine. (And cheaper.)

RkyMtnH wrote:Nice score on the trailer Dylan.
Thanks

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Now that there looks like a perfect excuse to buy a kettle sandblaster and a ton or two of sand for the underside! Bonus: you get a nice sandy driveway while you do it!
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 am

Boodyrider wrote:Now that there looks like a perfect excuse to buy a kettle sandblaster and a ton or two of sand for the underside! Bonus: you get a nice sandy driveway while you do it!
We have a sandblaster in the garage that needs some basic TLC to get operational again. Same goes for our mig welder too. (Which looks like I'll have plenty of practice to get good at while restoring this.)

I was told it was ok to use play sand? We have a couple bags of black diamond sand too.

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

JeepGuy21 wrote:I was told it was ok to use play sand? We have a couple bags of black diamond sand too.
I've heard the same thing with play sand. It's the "cheaper" way to go. And you know what happens when you go the "cheaper way". I would just go with the Black Diamond sand and be done with it.
Just a thought.
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I had read that play sand can be to wet. No first hand knowledge on that though, just internet reading, so take it with a grain of salt.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

wrks6
The Board
The Board

Post by wrks6 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 pm

All of the play sand I've purchased is very wet. If you're going to use it, rip open the bags and pour it into a wide container that you can leave out in the sun for a few days. It dries out quickly. The is first hand knowledge from use in a crab sand box :lol:
kNOw Where 2Jeep
717-739-8029
www.knowwhere2jeep.com

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:35 pm

You'll want to scrape and or burn off any undercoating. Before sandblasting. and if you do wind up using play sand make sure to wear a respirator actually anything its got silica in it. Bad for lungs.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Keith_c

Post by Keith_c » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 am

Toaddragon wrote:cool, I was going to suggest just going through Maine but it was worth a shot for MD.
Just an FYI, Delaware is onto the Maine trailer tagging thing and will issue a $400 ticket to anyone who is a DE resident with a trailer tagged in Maine.

I know this is in MD, but they will probably follow suit eventually.

Also know, Maine does not issue titles, just tags, so when caught you will still have a trailer with no title and no way to title it here.

You will probably be good for a few years.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Keith_c wrote:
Just an FYI, Delaware is onto the Maine trailer tagging thing and will issue a $400 ticket to anyone who is a DE resident with a trailer tagged in Maine.

I know this is in MD, but they will probably follow suit eventually.

Also know, Maine does not issue titles, just tags, so when caught you will still have a trailer with no title and no way to title it here.

You will probably be good for a few years.
Thanks for the information. Have you registered anything like this before? If so, shoot me a pm I have a few questions for you.

Its been awhile since I have updated this thread. I had removed the fenders and the rear reflectors but reinstalled them yesterday. I am making a push to get it ready for the PA jeep show. I will be stock piling parts over the next few months to get ready for a frame off restoration. For now I will run the trailer as is.

Pulled the drum:

Bearings out:

Wrapped up to prevent any weather damage:

Prior cleanup:

Post cleanup:

Reinstalled:

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I submitted my paperwork today for Maine registration. I should get the tag within the next couple weeks.

m-l_johnny

Post by m-l_johnny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 am

Awesome trailer. Not that I'm jealous or anything... :mrgreen:
A couple years ago I scored a 4x8 trailer with 2' high sides. It has an "A" frame tongue and 13" wheels. (no brakes, unfortunately. :cry: ) Another feature it has that I have really grown to appreciate is a load leveler hitch. You may have considered this already, but if not, check them out.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
It might still work with the pintle hitch on the highway. Rough trails, not likely. For general hauling they will help save your rear coil springs.
I have frequently hauled a ton of gravel in my trailer. The trailer could take more, but I don't want to push the limits of getting stopped. :lol: Other than getting all that weight started and stopped the Jeep doesn't even know the trailer is there.
Hi. I'm Johnny.... And I'm a Jeep addict....

'76 CJ7 money pit of fun.
pics here

I am not Jonny Throttle.

Yes, I really am as stupid as I look.