Royal Purple synchromax manual transmission fluid for JK

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kenney
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Royal Purple synchromax manual transmission fluid for JK

Post by Kenney » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 am

So I am trying to change my manual transmission fluid and I was told synthetic oil MAY HELP with some noise and shaking. I have used Royal Purple in the past and like them, so when I looked on their website it says it will work with my transmission. So I called them just to make sure and their first question was is the vehical still on warrenty? Which it still has a powertrain warrenty, but then once I said no he was like ok then yea it will work fine it is just high performance so Jeep would not back your warrenty up. Basically just seemed a little weird so I am woundering if anyone is using Royal Purple sythchromax, and if so how is it? and I guess it must be true about voiding my warrenty so should I just use Mopars expensive fluid...and I realize I should have told him that I was still on warrenty, but I was thinking bumper to bumper 36,000 mile warrenty and I forgot about the powertrain warrenty.

sherwoodiv

Re: Royal Purple synchromax manual transmission fluid for JK

Post by sherwoodiv » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 am

Why do you have noise and shaking and when did it start?
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Kenney
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Kenney » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I guess I should have put that differently, It is not loud noise or a bad noise, it just just a jeep with a minivan motor in it that lacks power. But it will make a kinda of click noise whenIi got from first to second sometimes, or just not really feel smooth, and then other random noises sometimes, but I know it is a noisy transmission. Most of the time it is when I first put it in first.

Kenney
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Kenney » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

I dont really think oil will solve the little noises to make me at ease, nor do I think there is a problem. I just want to change the manual transmission fluid cause the person before me I am pretty sure sucked at driving stick, and I would just feel better changing it and I wanted to go with a better oil.

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Sounds like you might just need to find what works for your jeep. I'm not into dumping a bunch of money in oils into my jeep ever since I tried full synthetic and awoke a engine tapping giant. I just use regular stuff and change it often.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Kenney
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Kenney » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I feel you, but Jeep is going to sell my their Mopar fluid which is ms-9224 chrystler standards, and it is $39 a quart, $29 with my discount. But Royal Purple is $19 and is told to be better :/

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 pm

If you just want to change the oil I'd suggest Pennzoil Synchromesh. It's half the price of RP, and by most accounts a better product. It's the only thing I've used in manuals.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

Kenney
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Kenney » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I went to advanced auto parts yesterday to try and find royal purple, but all they had was the pennzoil, so I bought it and put it in and I am happy I did. Made my shifts a little smoother and made the random little clicking noises practically go away. So thanks