Axle Options?

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

JeepGuy21

Re: Axle Options?

Post by JeepGuy21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 am

From the bit of research that I've done upgrading to a wagoneer axle would be the easiest and most cost effective swap. What I have listed below would convert it to the 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

1980+ Wagoneer Dana 44 Axle (Drivers Drop)
TNT Truss http://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_wagoneer ... truss.aspx
Chevy Small Bearing Spindles 706528x
F150/Bronco Hub and Rotor Assembly
Calipers and Brake Pads (Chevy, but stock Wagoneer may work as well?)
Gears, Locker, Master Install Kit, etc.
Warn Locking Hubs

The only thing I still need to research would be the steering. I'm pretty sure that I can do a hi-steer setup but not certain if I would need to order a new set of knuckles.

I would be able to keep my Ford 8.8 and would upgrade to a chromolly c-clip eliminator kit (which has the 5x5.5 bolt pattern.) The only problem I think would be trying to find a set of rotors that match.

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:04 am

And you'll still be running the same size u-joint as you have now. Sure you'll be marginally stronger in a few other areas but at what cost? You'll also be back to a low pinion.

HP30 is a disposable housing for the most part. Plentiful and cheap. You shouldnt be destroying ball joints or egging the holes with regularity and its possible you've got other problems.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 am

What do you suggest for a long term solution. I can find a replacment housing and feel confident enough to swap everything over except for setting up the diff. I should have checked the balljoints more often and maybe could have saved the inner Cs from wearing out.

Does the wagoneer axle have better balljoints than what I have now?

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 am

I dont have a long term solution. IMO you shouldnt be killing the ball joint holes in the Cs.

My take is you already have this axle, you've invested time, money and parts into it. Moving to another axle is more time, money and parts plus your wheels wont work (unless dual bolt pattern or spacers which will cause more stress on parts) and your strength gain is minimal and you are still running the same u-joints which you can break with your current setup.

How much do your wheels weigh? How much back spacing? Beating on the rig to try and make the trail or picking solid lines? There are guys running bigger tires than you on the HP30 making it live. There are guys running smaller tires than you that are killing the HP30.

I wouldnt run spacers if you do go the waggy around. That just puts more stress on parts and you'll kill stuff which will prompt you to post another thread about a different front axle. :flipoff:
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I would sell my current beadlocks and purchase new wheels with the correct bolt pattern. I do not want to add wheel spacers. I have not weighed them with the new rings but I would guess around 35-40 pounds each. Not including the outer ring and hardware. I will measure the backspacing when I weigh the wheels.

Most of my trailriding I keep the throttle under control, having 4.88s and lockers with the 3spd auto helps. With our terrain wheel speed is needed occasionally. :flipoff:

The wagoneer swap looks much more reasonable than trying to figure out what to do with a pair of Dana 60s. Other than welding the TNT truss / bracket kit, everything else would bolt on without having to make alot of modifications to what I currently have. Keeping it somewhat road friendly is important as well.

john3676

Post by john3676 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 pm

this is re tod ed.

john3676

Post by john3676 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

you are beating ball joints to death because their is another issue. I would put money on control arm/ track arm bushings or wheel bearings. or all of the above. the only reason I think that, is because I have been there. re did all bushings, wheel bearings, and ball joints on the XJ. (I beat my XJ like it owed me money, because it did. that's how it works. you pay money to the jeep the jeep then repays its debt on the trail. wheel, break, fix, repeat. this in turn gives you experience, fun, and friends.) After I replaced all that stuff on the XJ it drove like a dream. I then wheeled it 2 times a month for 10 months and totally trashed the bushings and ball joints again. I suspect that stuff got lose, dirt got in, I did not care, and that is why they got trashed again. if I did bolt checks and kept thing clean and lubed I'm positive that they would have lasted longer. the best advice would be to keep it simple stupid.

appalachian offroad

Post by appalachian offroad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 am

My .02 which people usually do not listen to anyway. :?

Fix what you have, don't run beadlocks, don't build a Dana 44, save a lot for a 60.
Appalachian Offroad Inc
2 East George Street
Westminster, Maryland

410-848-2942

Hours MON-FRI 9-5 Tuesday 9-6:30
Lift kit installs and suspension repair, Differential Repair and Modification, 4 wheel Alignments.
Give us a call, pm us or stop by the shop for pricing or estimates.

ripster

Post by ripster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:25 pm

appalachian offroad wrote:Fix what you have, don't run beadlocks, don't build a Dana 44, save a lot for a 60.
I concur.