Brakes

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

gary8

Brakes

Post by gary8 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 am

Hello, my rear brake line blew out yesterday so I want to go ahead replace all the lines.
I would like some opinions of stainless steel, pre-bent or braided.
Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

sherwoodiv

Re: Brakes

Post by sherwoodiv » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 pm

The first time I bought the random preflarred lines at the store and ended up having to flare a new end at the distribution block and some other places. The second time I just bought a roll of 25ft of plain old brake line and flarred my own. The flaring tool at Harbor freight was junk.

I got stainless braided to replace the rubber. Doubt it makes a big difference for Jeeps.

Make sure your soft line to the rear axle is extended if you have a lift. It's a good time to replace that. Some Dodge truck had a 4 inch longer line. I could find the part number if you want.

In general it sucked and wasn't fun. Prebent I is the easiest and most expensive. My coil of 25 feet and fittings was probably less than $30
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm

I've done a mix of the pre-flared sections from Napa and flaring my own line for the hard brake lines. I've gotten pretty decent at using the original line to make a template for bending bulk line (taping them together as you go helps), and flaring the ends with a Lisle double flaring tool set (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009OR8YS), but the lazy in me loves the ready-to-go Napa sections as someone else is buying or the cost is reasonable. I've yet to run across a run that couldn't be manufactured with one or two sections, and they come in the 3/16" size with 3/8" NPT fitting that worked perfectly on my Jeeps.

I would never buy pre-bent sections, both because of the cost and because I always need to bend and re-bend to install the lines.

As said, braided stainless steel line is the way to go for the soft line replacements.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

gary8

Post by gary8 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:33 am

Big Help, thanks for the suggestions!!

renbert

Post by renbert » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:24 am

You may not notice any difference in performance although stainless ones won't swell, unlike the rubber.