I'm wheel shopping and started wondering...

Non model specific questions

Moderator: Board of Directors

Feelin'Flexie

I'm wheel shopping and started wondering...

Post by Feelin'Flexie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I just ordered some 37" BFG KM2 for the jeep in a group deal in NOVA a little bit ago and came to the realization that I need to buy new wheels to suit them. Unsure of the exact bolt pattern at this time(will be home in few days), BFG doesn't offer the 37" in a 16" wheel so I'm shopping for 17". Steel or Aluminum is the big what if now..for $100/wheel, I can have some soft 8s or equivalent steel wheel...OR for about $150/wheel, I can have some procomp aluminum or equivalent.

Any thoughts? Experience? I feel that the steel wheels being as heavy as they are add weight and core energy when braking...in turn being a little more hellish on pads and rotors when under heavy braking.

Is the weight reduction worth the price hike? So many people just get the steelies out of cost effect and thats all good and well, but now I'm peeling back the layers of the onion so to speak.

Annnnd GO.... :popcorn:
Christopher
'02 TJ, Burnt Orange w/Bestop and half doors, Tri-core radiator, Teraflex 4" LA/2wdLo/SYE/TomWoods/twin d44s w/4.11s and ARBs/PSE Hydro Steering Assist/Anti-rock sways, 37" TSL Swampers...couldn't stuff anymore Tuffy storages boxes in it if ya tried, Hanson bumpers/tire swing, gas tank skid and a leaky rear main seal just to keep it a real.
sherwoodiv wrote:This is the crazy state that believes an AR-10 is safer than an AR-15. And it's true it's 5 less ARs, math doesn't lie.

tealo951

Re: I'm wheel shopping and started wondering...

Post by tealo951 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 am

Depends on the type of wheeling.
Some prefer as much reasonable weight down low for Gravity concerns.

Personally I think steel are better for rocks because they won't just crack in half it you hit the edge. It'll bend and you can generally bend it back too.

I'm actually putting rock rings on my rims to make them stronger and protect my valve stem. Can't do that with aluminum unless you can weld aluminum. I can't. Lol

As for bolt pattern, if it's for a JK it's 5X5.5...

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!

tealo951

Re: I'm wheel shopping and started wondering...

Post by tealo951 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:14 am

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!