New Gauges

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

Ajious

New Gauges

Post by Ajious » Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 am

I have purchased my first CJ7 and am looking for a great source for purchasing gauges. When I read reviews from JC Whitney and other sites, the reviews are less than favorable claiming the gauges short out quickly. I would like to buy new gauges.

Any ideas?

Boodyrider

Re: New Gauges

Post by Boodyrider » Fri May 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Yeah... But what's the budget? There are aces that can make gauges jump through hoops but is a grand in the budget? How about 3 grand?
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Greenshirt82

Post by Greenshirt82 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:44 am

Ajious wrote:I have purchased my first CJ7 and am looking for a great source for purchasing gauges. When I read reviews from JC Whitney and other sites, the reviews are less than favorable claiming the gauges short out quickly. I would like to buy new gauges.

Any ideas?
Do a search for what you're looking for and expect pay shipping.

http://www.4wd.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=277

Parts for most CJs are the same makers, and depending on vintage who the maker is. If you are willing to do some technical work you can do quite a bit.

What year is it? What is the specific issue? No gauge or just not working? Two things I've learned with my CJ5 is 1) grounds are king; and 2) gauges are finicky. Corrosion can be a killer on connectors meaning the continuity is not as good as new. Thankfully most of these CJs are simple so tracing a wire and fixing it are easy.

Tim

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Are you going for the stock look or modified? Here is a site I keep running across when I start looking for modification ideas. I already have a custom setup in my YJ but I miss my old CJ so the dash and front nose will be swapped. I will just use my auto meter gauges in the swap.

https://sites.google.com/site/doubledfa ... p-cj-dashs
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

corwinJ

Post by corwinJ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 am

Toaddragon wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm
Are you going for the stock look or modified? Here is a site I keep running across when I start looking for modification ideas. I already have a custom setup in my YJ but I miss my old CJ so the dash and front nose will be swapped. I will just use my auto meter gauges in the swap.

https://sites.google.com/site/doubledfa ... p-cj-dashs
These are incredible dashes, great idea for the '79 CJ-7 we will be working on. Will be finishing installing the new shocks and smittybilt bumper on the current Wrangler project before we decide what to do with the CJ.