Goodbye "Mud Bandit"....Hello rock racer.

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

wgilbertpt

Re: Goodbye "Mud Bandit"....Hello rock racer.

Post by wgilbertpt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 am

I had my builder race it for me. Ran good times but krts suck in the mud. Broke nipple on steering pump 4th lap. Ran a mile for ps fluid. Ended 13th in division and 39th I think overall. Times for first 3 laps were good enough for sixth place.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 5.7 Hemi
79 CJ Juggy LSX

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:21 am

Bill, how did the race go this weekend?

wgilbertpt

Post by wgilbertpt » Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 am

1st lap took a wrong turn. Someone ran through the marker tape and didn't fix it. lost 5 minutes.
2nd lap ripped a sidewall in my drivers rear KRT, drove to pits and changed it out.
3rd lap stopped with fuel issues around 7th mile. Found a loose shock resevoir that was bumping against a fuel like hose clamp and caused it to come loose and suck air into the fuel line, easy fix.
Then blew a front passenger tire, ripped the sidewall again but this time passenger front tire.

Buggy ran great, just a little bad luck. Didn't have another spare so it ended our day at 4 laps. Expensive hobby, 2 KRT's to buy.

I am considering selling the buggy and getting out of the sport. This is not because of the buggy but because of the change in format of the races. I didn't build it to do line mt. races. I built it to challenge the "toughest off road race on the east coast" with nearly impossible obstacles and a high attrition due to difficulty of the course. Yeah, for the right price I'd leave the sport.
79 CJ Juggy LSX

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Are you done with wheeling or just racing? I can understand your frustration for building a race rig and Ultra4 removing Rausch Creek entirely and the local series made easier to accomodate more classes and less carnage. Is the Chaos Racing series any different?

I'd also suggest switching to a different tire that can hold up better to the east coast terrain.

wgilbertpt

Post by wgilbertpt » Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 am

Chaos racing is not going to happen, at least not this year. Rausch has changed to a Line Mt format that I could do in a cheap beater and have just as much fun without blowing $1200 in tires in a single race. That leaves...nothing on the east coast to compete in with this rig. It's like hunting groundhog with ammo that costs $100 a round. Time to switch to a $1000 beater and pass this on to someone out west where they can compete on a regular basis and get their moneys worth out of it. Time for me to downsize and enjoy wheeling again.
79 CJ Juggy LSX