Swapping motor--inline 258

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

mazz7474
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Swapping motor--inline 258

Post by mazz7474 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Engine blew and pulling the bad motor to replace with another. I have removed the body panels, radiator and intake set up as well as all wires attaching to the engine. Looks like my next step is to unbolt from the transmission/clutch housing. This is my first engine pull and before I go further wanted to get some insight as to what "quirks" to watch out for? or any tips on the easiest way to proceed from this point?

I'll probably end up learning the hard way to do it, but anyone how has been down this road before any insight would be helpful. Thank you, Mike
Attachments
May29_0003[2].jpg

Brent Borgaard

Re: Swapping motor--inline 258

Post by Brent Borgaard » Sun May 30, 2010 12:01 am

Get help. If you need help i`m around during the day. I`m busy in the evenings(A.K.A.Drunk). From where your at. Hold the motor in place with an engine lift. Take off motor mounts from the motor. Then lower engine , makes it easier to take out bell housing bolts. Screw it , call me. 410-795-1335
How did i spend four grand on parts in one month?

Manic_Mechanic
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by Manic_Mechanic » Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm

take out the motor and trans as one unit. its a pain in the a$$ to remove and reinstall this way but its alot easier to align and reinstall the trans to the motor with them both out. i fault with mine for 2 weeks then finally pulled the trans and transfer case and had them mated back up in a few minutes. all this can be done with one person but is a ton easier with some help
"better to burn out, than fade out"
"Hungry?, out of work?, then eat your import"
"cant find it, grind it"
"any resto needs two things time and money the less of one you have the more of the other it will take"
"when the time is 4:55 all i can think about is Pontiac"

mazz7474
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by mazz7474 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:34 pm

so which is more of a pain in the a$$...pulling the motor and trans as one or pulling just the motor and then realign with trans still in vehicle?

or are they both the same level of anxiety just a matter of which one I prefer to get pissed off at?? LOL

m-l_johnny

Post by m-l_johnny » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:27 am

Since you already have the fenders and grill off, pull it out as a unit. It's much easier to mate/ demate the tranns and engine out of the vehicle.

Just don't forget to disconnect the driveshafts. :mrgreen:
Hi. I'm Johnny.... And I'm a Jeep addict....

'76 CJ7 money pit of fun.
pics here

I am not Jonny Throttle.

Yes, I really am as stupid as I look.

Manic_Mechanic
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by Manic_Mechanic » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 pm

also this is a great time to reapint your engine bay if you see fit. and dont forget to paint your new motor before installing it. nothing looks worse than a rusty block in a clean jeep
"better to burn out, than fade out"
"Hungry?, out of work?, then eat your import"
"cant find it, grind it"
"any resto needs two things time and money the less of one you have the more of the other it will take"
"when the time is 4:55 all i can think about is Pontiac"