Applying POR-15 on a CJ7 Frame

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

Engine311

Applying POR-15 on a CJ7 Frame

Post by Engine311 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Has anyone applied the POR-15 to a CJ frame? I just wanted to know about how much to buy to do just the frame of the jeep. This stuff is expensive and I don't want to buy more than I need. I was just curious if anyone had an a close guess to how much I will need.

Thanks

Boodyrider

Re: Applying POR-15 on a CJ7 Frame

Post by Boodyrider » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Did my TJ frame. One quart was enough for 3 full coats. You MUST buy the marine Clean and the Metal ready if you want good results, otherwise don't even bother. Likewise, do NOT take to shiny metal; if you do, prep and paint with conventional metods: self-etch primer, then primer, then color, then surface coating.

Frame must be completely degreased.

ALL loose rust must be removed. NOT to shiny metal, just the loose rust. If you think it's all gone, hit the area HARD with a hammer, if more rust falls off you are not done. Best tool is a needle scaler or a sandblaster.

Clean with Marine clean to get off any remaining grease.

Clean with Metal ready to prep and etch surface. Keep wet for 10 minutes or longer.

Wash with clear water.

IMPORTANT: allow to develop flash rust. This is what allows the POR15 to create a chemical bond with the surface.

Again.... I learned a lot doing my frame, and it was separate from the drivetrain, body, and suspension at the time. If you choose tom ignore any of the above, the POR will not do well and you will have wasted a lot of time and energy... and if you think 36 bucks a quart is expensive for frasme coating, you are nuts.

Suggestion: Get it from Finishmaster in Glen Burnie or from Eric at Know Where 2 Jeep. You'll save a ton on shipping.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Toaddragon

Post by Toaddragon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am

I quart did my entire YJ frame atleast twice plus I painted my fire wall, axles, some under body areas and springs, and I still had extra left I didnt use. I did not use the prep stuff at all but I used a sand blaster to fully strip my frame to bare metal and wiped it down with brake cleaner and a rag / air nozzle.
Can I get a push?

2006 F250 Super Duty Powerstoke, Crew cab, Tow rig
2000 WJ 4'' RC lift Grocery Getter and RC approved.
2000 XJ Stock but getting a heart transplant
1989 6.2L Detroit Turbo Diesel YJ, 6'' lift, 35's D44 F&R, SM465, NP205, Woody's shafts, Confederate Bikini air freshener.
1989 YJ - Project (SBF, axles, ect)
1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 Wagoneer Limited

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

Toaddragon wrote: I used a sand blaster to fully strip my frame to bare metal and wiped it down with brake cleaner and a rag / air nozzle.

I HOPE you don't experience what I did with the bare metal.... peeling off in sheets from the smooth shiny sections. Hopefully, with the sandblast surface being 'rougher', it'll stay.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Engine311

Post by Engine311 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for the help you all. Thanks Boodyrider and Toaddragon for giving me all the other info on how you did it. This is going to be a slow process with these jeep and you all are helping me big time anytime a question pops up. Thanks again.

Manic_Mechanic
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by Manic_Mechanic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:07 pm

sand blasting is fine. the smooth "shinny" metal u mention does not have the adhession por-15 or any paint for that matter to stick to. you need a minium of 80 grit sand scratchs for adhesion. as for the rust what por 15 does is it enclaspsolates it and doesnt allow air or moisture in which in essenceslows or stops rust.

if your using por 15 save urself alot of time and hassel just hit it really good with a wire brush (eletric is prefered) but hand held works to just slower. clean it really well (soap and water will work fine) then apply and let get tacky (about 3 hrs at 70 degrees) then apply ur top coat (primer or paint or what ever ur going to use) this must be done as por 15 has zero UV protection and any area that is expossed to sunlight will brake it down and cause it to fade and adventually peel.

if u have any qustions about this or any body/metal/paint work feel free to contact me
"better to burn out, than fade out"
"Hungry?, out of work?, then eat your import"
"cant find it, grind it"
"any resto needs two things time and money the less of one you have the more of the other it will take"
"when the time is 4:55 all i can think about is Pontiac"