Dana 300 tera low kit

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

Brent Borgaard

Re: Dana 300 tera low kit

Post by Brent Borgaard » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:06 pm

bjordan wrote:Are you going to replace the outputs as well? I did the rear output but kept the front stock. from what i have heard the front is strong enough stock but the rear would be a good upgrade.

Your right.
How did i spend four grand on parts in one month?

thezman
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by thezman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 am

bjordan wrote:Are you going to replace the outputs as well? I did the rear output but kept the front stock. from what i have heard the front is strong enough stock but the rear would be a good upgrade.
yeah i was planning to both. jb seems to have a pretty good set up and y not just make it all new since its gonna be apart.
2012 JK 2in BB, 33's, stubby front bumper, Warn Zeon 10K

atjeep

Post by atjeep » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:05 am

thezman wrote:
yeah i was planning to both. jb seems to have a pretty good set up and y not just make it all new since its gonna be apart.
Good plan. It sounds like you are building a nice solid t-case.

frosty

Post by frosty » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm

What size tire do you plan on running?

I'd say before you go dumping a ton of money into the d300 calculate your cost and see what an atlas or stak might run. I'd look for used personally. You might find you'll be close to their cost and the case will be stronger.

Granted I'm running a d300 with 4:1 and stock outputs. Even when I had a flipped and geared d300 I had the stock outputs and was considerably cheaper than an atlas or stak. But the outputs and machine work for the front one would have put me over that amount. I also got my d300 for next to nothing (if not free) so that really helped.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

atjeep

Post by atjeep » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Frosty has a good point.
I run a D300 similar to what you are building, Teralow with 32 spline in and out. I stuck with the D300 instead of going Stak or Atlas mainly due to the size. The D300 is smaller and I needed the space. But if tight space is not a concern, the Atlas is nicer and has more gearing options.

thezman
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by thezman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:21 am

http://www.jbconversions.com/products/dana300/

they show pictures compared to atlas. as far as outputs that would just be an upgrade because its apart. not to concerned until it breaks but like i said this is whats going to be done to my spare $50 transfer case. long term not rushing out or leaving my jeep sitting while its done. just my thoughts on it right now. go big or go home

bjordan

Post by bjordan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:11 am

atjeep wrote:Frosty has a good point.
I run a D300 similar to what you are building, Teralow with 32 spline in and out. I stuck with the D300 instead of going Stak or Atlas mainly due to the size. The D300 is smaller and I needed the space. But if tight space is not a concern, the Atlas is nicer and has more gearing options.
If you are planning on replacing the outputs you should definitely look into the atlas. By the time I flipped (down east offroad), hd outputs, and 4:1 my d300 it was almost at the cost of an atlas. You can not beat an atlas. My flip kit included atlas shifters and they are great because the adjustment is infinite, you can fit them in most any trans tunnel with out destroying the floor boards. They have been popular for quite awhile so you should be able to find a few used. If i had it to do over I would have an atlas in my jeep. Just my 2 cents.

atjeep

Post by atjeep » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am

bjordan wrote:
If you are planning on replacing the outputs you should definitely look into the atlas. By the time I flipped (down east offroad), hd outputs, and 4:1 my d300 it was almost at the cost of an atlas. You can not beat an atlas. My flip kit included atlas shifters and they are great because the adjustment is infinite, you can fit them in most any trans tunnel with out destroying the floor boards. They have been popular for quite awhile so you should be able to find a few used. If i had it to do over I would have an atlas in my jeep. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know if you are talking to me or the OP, but mine has been done for 2 years. I had to massage the floor pan to fit the D300 as it is.:lol:

I am not saying my decision is the right one for everyone. Not everyone will have the same requirements I did. You have to look at the space you have available in your build and make decisions that are right for your needs. An Atlas case would be my preference if it suited my needs.

OTOH, I learned a lot building the case. Like the OP, I got the case for almost nothing. I had fun building it.

thezman
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by thezman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 pm

atjeep wrote:OTOH, I learned a lot building the case. Like the OP, I got the case for almost nothing. I had fun building it.
I like your style. thats kinda what im going for. I want to do it myself. i did the transmission with the shaft and that seemed really easy. i know transfer case is alittle more complex and id like to teach myself how to do it. like i said its a long term thing im not in need of it now.