How to fix too much pinion angle?

Forum for all things CJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

cboyd1

How to fix too much pinion angle?

Post by cboyd1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I recently put a 4" lift kit on my 1979 cj7. I haven't driven it much at all. I was just ready to put 1 piece axle in the AMC20 rear and noticed the pinion angle is pointed up too high. It would be perfect if I was going to run a CV shaft. I have no shim in the rear springs at all. It was perfect with the stock springs. I am not sure what the problem is.

Can I correct this by shimming the axle down or are the rear springs possibily put on backwards>? Any help or suggestions would be great.

wrks6
The Board
The Board

Re: How to fix too much pinion angle?

Post by wrks6 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Are you sure there wasn't a shim bolted to the leaf spring pack already? Some 4" kits already have the shims attached with the center pin.
kNOw Where 2Jeep
717-739-8029
www.knowwhere2jeep.com

cboyd1

Post by cboyd1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:12 pm

We didn't notice any shims in the leaf springs. I will check again tonight though.

karlvin08
Crotchety Old Bastard
Crotchety Old Bastard

Post by karlvin08 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Did you recently, or really ever I guess, change the shackles? Longer than stock shackles will make the pinion point up in the air higher than normal. Some times this works to your favor when lifting, some times not so much.
Overgunned? Hell, that's better than the alternative.
A big hole lets a lot of air in, and a lot of blood out.
E. Kieth

Reading is Fundamental

My 3 Favorite words..."Your prescriptions ready"
NavinRJohnson wrote:Sorry, but you guys are clueless. Any hair left on the badger interferes with the process, because the bits of the watermelon get caught in the hair. It's a sticky phucking mess. You don't really want to have to deal with that while looking for the quarter.

Brent Borgaard

Post by Brent Borgaard » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

karlvin08 wrote:Did you recently, or really ever I guess, change the shackles? Longer than stock shackles will make the pinion point up in the air higher than normal. Some times this works to your favor when lifting, some times not so much.
Now that you said something and i`m thinking about the geomerty. I`ve never thought about that. I wish i knew that three years ago. Would have saved a lot of shims.
How did i spend four grand on parts in one month?

cboyd1

Post by cboyd1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16 pm

All new shackles and bushing. Jeep has been sitting on the springs since summer, so they settled some already. the back part of the frame was rebuilt using box tubing so their could be an issue with that being a different height. I am going to get some pics this weekend.

cboyd1

Post by cboyd1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I was mistaken about the shims. It does have shims mounted onto the springs already, but they are pretty large. Can I remove these and install ones with less angle to them. Currently it points above the transmission.

wrks6
The Board
The Board

Post by wrks6 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Yes. It may requiring removing the center pin to remove the shims. Several after market shims include new center pins if you happen to break the current ones during removal. Just make sure you get the same size center pin (5/16" and 3/8" being the most common) or you can drill out the springs and shims to fit a larger pin.
kNOw Where 2Jeep
717-739-8029
www.knowwhere2jeep.com

GrassHopper
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by GrassHopper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 am

Curious? Did you drop the T-case?
2006 TJ, SYE Tom Woods DS, 6" Fabtech LA, 1"BL, 35's, Llama bumpers, KC's, Warn 8000

cboyd1

Post by cboyd1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Yes the transfer case was dropped with the kit that was included. If I take transfer case drop kit out, It will be perfectly aligned for a CV driveshaft.

At this point, I am thinking I should sell my 4" lift kit and go with some waggy springs so I can stretch it a few inches. I would like it a little lower and longer with the current tires I have. I will probably have to do some trimming, but its going to be off the road until the end of summer anyways.

cboyd1

Post by cboyd1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:33 am

I measure another jeep at the junk yard.
When the frame was repaired in the back, the shack sits lower so it's changing the angle. Thanks everyone for their information.