Maryland Modification & Inspections?

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

NaptownLarry

Maryland Modification & Inspections?

Post by NaptownLarry » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:56 am

Just getting my first Jeep (2018 Willy's JKU) and I'm already planning modifications:

33" Wheels
2.5" Lift
Flat Fenders
Re-gearing
Rock Sliders
Front & Rear Bumpers

My understanding is that once the vehicle is registered in Maryland you can mod the hell out of it and generally speaking, if you're not driving like an idiot, cops aren't going to pull you over and ticket you for general modification infractions like: Wheel tread that extends outside your fenders or a Front fender that isn't "full width". BUT... At the time of resale or trade in, the vehicle MUST be reinspected AGAIN and it MUST be able to pass.

Is this correct? If so, does that mean you have to keep your OEM parts (Like your full width bumpers and your stock wheels), and reinstall them to be able to sell or trade in your Jeep (for full BB value) in Maryland?

Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Re: Maryland Modification & Inspections?

Post by Cowboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Mostly correct. I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over just because they had a modified vehicle; that doesn't mean they won't give you a "repair ticket" if they pull you over for something else.

When you go to sell the vehicle, it's on the buyer to make it pass inspection. Keeping the OEM parts would certainly help if you wanted to sell it, or if you needed to fix a repair ticket.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'10 H-D Street Bob
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra