Jeep Sahara Build

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

JeepGuy21

Re: Jeep Sahara Build

Post by JeepGuy21 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

cmecha wrote:also need to get brakes replaced and don't know if i want Hawks or throw out the extra money for the black magic brake upgrade.
I run the black magic / centric kit on both front and rear axles. I can't compare it to the stock setup because I upgraded when we swapped the 8.8 rear in. (disc brakes). I think its a decent kit for the money, but if your looking for a true upgade do a dual piston caliper up front.

cmecha

Post by cmecha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 am

can't afford it now i think i might go EBC yellows now and get the black magic when i need rotors.
/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

1984 jeep CJ donated to jeepless jeeper

2006 silver TJ, slowly but surely

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:03 am

It has been a few months since my last post, I haven't done much if anything mod related.

I put a couple hours in last night working on the Jeep. I didn't do any major mods, I cut down a bolt to seal a hole on the transmission tunnel (was cooking my leg most of the year), changed some hardware on the belly up skid and did a good once over underneath the Jeep checking bolts, grease, etc. My next trip is not until mid October at Big Dogs but I don't drive the Jeep to often so I'd rather take care of it now instead of last minute prep like normal. I still have some minor things I'd like to take care of (trailer related) but this is my last big project:

Currie tie rod bent again. :roll: I will remove the tie rod and use a press to straighten it as best I can, alignment and track bar check.

Bent stock, replaced with JKS, bent JKS, replaced with Currie, bent Currie...Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed from here? I think I should make my own until I can build up one ton axles and have cross over / hi-steer. I may consider doing the tie rod flip but thats more money I don't want to put into the front axle...

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am

JeepGuy21 wrote:Anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed from here?
Figure out why you are bending them and fix that problem? :flipoff:

I never had any issue with bending the Currie unit when I was running it. Not to say that it wouldnt have bent but I tried to keep my steering components off the rocks and put my tires on them instead. :lol: Have you thought about aluminum?
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am

frosty wrote:
Did you hit a Big Rock on a trail Dylan ?
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

frosty wrote:
Figure out why you are bending them and fix that problem? :flipoff:

I never had any issue with bending the Currie unit when I was running it. Not to say that it wouldnt have bent but I tried to keep my steering components off the rocks and put my tires on them instead. :lol: Have you thought about aluminum?
I considered upgrading to the Savvy aluminum tie rod (4340 heat treated) but the tie rod alone is $160 and new ends are about $60 each. So $300 for a new tie rod is not exactly budget friendly. I could also do the flip kit with the raised swaybar mounts for about another $100. I guess I am more disappointed that I have $450 invested in the Currie steering and it still bends. Add another $400 if I want to have the best Dana 30 steering available.

RkyMtnH

Post by RkyMtnH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 am

As crazy as this may sound. I had a Rusty's Tie Rod on my Xj. Same as you, D30 front with 35's. It took a beating and never bent.
I think it was about $100.
If you see me driving a Jeep, don't wave. It's not me.

appalachian offroad

Post by appalachian offroad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am

JeepGuy21 wrote: Savvy aluminum tie rod (4340 heat treated)

This is incorrect, I think 7075 is what you mean and it is not heat treated.
Appalachian Offroad Inc
2 East George Street
Westminster, Maryland

410-848-2942

Hours MON-FRI 9-5 Tuesday 9-6:30
Lift kit installs and suspension repair, Differential Repair and Modification, 4 wheel Alignments.
Give us a call, pm us or stop by the shop for pricing or estimates.

appalachian offroad

Post by appalachian offroad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am

Correction, looks like it is 4340 heat treated which is not aluminum.
Appalachian Offroad Inc
2 East George Street
Westminster, Maryland

410-848-2942

Lift kit installs and suspension repair, Differential Repair and Modification, 4 wheel Alignments.

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:07 am

What Mike said, its not aluminum. Do you need new ends? If not then the $160 doesnt seem to bad pricewise to me. Yes it sucks to be into steering that much overall. Seems if you can destroy that tie rod they will send you a new one. Granted most anything can and will fail when you drive by braille much like I do. :mrgreen:
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:46 am

frosty wrote:What Mike said, its not aluminum. Do you need new ends? If not then the $160 doesnt seem to bad pricewise to me. Yes it sucks to be into steering that much overall. Seems if you can destroy that tie rod they will send you a new one. Granted most anything can and will fail when you drive by braille much like I do. :mrgreen:
I had looked at the website before replying but I guess I didn't read the description very well. :lol: I think for the time being I will just get it straightened out again and may consider purchasing the Savvy model if this becomes an every trip occurrence. I had already straightened the tie rod earlier this year. :roll:

Anyway, I do not have any major mods planned over the winter other than maintenance and little things (switch panel, rock lights, seat heaters, air line for my compressor, etc.) I should be able to save up a good amount and finally purchase a truck and trailer in the spring. After I have a tow rig, Id like to start focusing on a one ton swap, running the same blues and blacks at Rausch every trip gets old. So if I can save a few hundred and not have to redo the steering for the 4th time, Id like too.

Mike, work is only a few blocks away from your shop and if you have a press able to straighten out the tie rod I can swing by one afternoon and drop it off to you.

appalachian offroad

Post by appalachian offroad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Does the slight bend rub on anything? If not I would just leave it be, bending it back will weaken it and it will bend in the same place easier.
Appalachian Offroad Inc
2 East George Street
Westminster, Maryland

410-848-2942

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:24 pm

appalachian offroad wrote:Does the slight bend rub on anything? If not I would just leave it be, bending it back will weaken it and it will bend in the same place easier.
Yes, I can't even turn lock to lock on the street without rubbing.

appalachian offroad

Post by appalachian offroad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Easiest way to straighten it is snatch block to tree with winch. I do not think my press has a wide enough stand to accurately support it.
Appalachian Offroad Inc
2 East George Street
Westminster, Maryland

410-848-2942

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 pm

appalachian offroad wrote:Easiest way to straighten it is snatch block to tree with winch. I do not think my press has a wide enough stand to accurately support it.
I used the Harbor Freight press last time and it worked pretty well. :lol: