Steel Blue Build

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

tealo951

Re: Steel Blue Build

Post by tealo951 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:26 pm

frosty wrote:When I comp cut mine I think I put tape down and drew some lines while taking some measurements to get them about the same. Its been a long time so that part is fuzzy. I used a grinder and cutoff wheel and took my time.

With that said did you push your rear axle back? A cleaner look would be some steel or aluminum corners that have the wheel arch moved back and its what I'd do to mine if I did it over. Not sure I care for the comp cut look even though thats how mine is.
Yes I did move my axle back. About 7". I have the blank corner armor from Genright that I'm going to cut my own wheel wells, which I'm also not sure of how far I want to move it back in the front..

I was going to just cut the body for now so I can put my tire on and cycle everything and make sure nothing is rubbing where it shouldn't be.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Put a level on the highest spot in the wheel well to get a straight line to the back of the tub. Then figure out what point at the bottom of the back of the tub you are cutting to and draw some lines to make them meet. Might take a time or two to get it right. Put some painters tape down first.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

frosty wrote:Put a level on the highest spot in the wheel well to get a straight line to the back of the tub. Then figure out what point at the bottom of the back of the tub you are cutting to and draw some lines to make them meet. Might take a time or two to get it right. Put some painters tape down first.
Okay, cool. And I guess once I get the angle and look I want on the tub I'll transfer it to the armor.. Some how.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 am

tealo951 wrote:
frosty wrote:Put a level on the highest spot in the wheel well to get a straight line to the back of the tub. Then figure out what point at the bottom of the back of the tub you are cutting to and draw some lines to make them meet. Might take a time or two to get it right. Put some painters tape down first.
Okay, cool. And I guess once I get the angle and look I want on the tub I'll transfer it to the armor.. Some how.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
Thats easy. Clamp the armor in place and trace the line from the inside of the wheel well. I would just look to move the arch back as long as you don't need the rear of the tub cut to clear a tire. Again relatively easy if you make a cardboard template of the current wheel arch before comp cutting.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:02 am

And I can edit.

One thing to think about is that depending on how much you comp cut, you are going to be cutting into the tailgate reinforcement, at least the lower one. This can make the tailgate bend the tub if you have it opened a bunch, or put any weight on it. Just something to think about when cutting your lines. I didn't when I cut mine. Tailgate still works but I have to be a little more careful about it. Armor would help that but I haven't gotten any.

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:41 am

frosty wrote:And I can edit.

One thing to think about is that depending on how much you comp cut, you are going to be cutting into the tailgate reinforcement, at least the lower one. This can make the tailgate bend the tub if you have it opened a bunch, or put any weight on it. Just something to think about when cutting your lines. I didn't when I cut mine. Tailgate still works but I have to be a little more careful about it. Armor would help that but I haven't gotten any.
I'm putting a CJ tailgate on it so that'll be okay.

I'll have to find a big piece of cardboard now

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Progress is still being made. Marine corps is keeping me very busy. So this is taking way too long haha

But here's a status update:

Both corners are cut, about ready for corner armor.

Axle is 90% done. Just need to locate and burn on the sway bar link tabs.

The frame is 80% done. Still need to locate and burn on the swaybar mounts, bump stop cans, and a new crossmember to handle the coil bucket placement.

It's coming along.

Other little things that will need to be done, but can wait until it's mobile are:

Body work on the inside. We had to cut into the floor and wheel wells so we are going to make new panels. Install the new CJ tailgate with locking latches. Cut the wheelwell out of the corners, and paint and install. Then run the wiring and install lighting. I have some super secret plans for that. Haha as well as finally modify my boat sides to move back and fit with the metal cloaks better.

Also run new brake lines and fuel lines.

While all that is happening I'm going to have my new driveshaft made. So I'll be able to actually drive it.

Lots of things are going on at the same time and the biggest problem is miss plant hardware.

I hate bagging and tagging parts at work but honestly it's super helpful. Haha I should probably continue that here haha

It's coming up on my Birthday too. Someone buy me a new cage. Haha

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Get it running and driving and spend a few weekends on the trail before worrying about a rollcage.

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:38 pm

JeepGuy21 wrote:Get it running and driving and spend a few weekends on the trail before worrying about a rollcage.
Lol I know, I know. I'm just wishful thinking. Haha

I'm hopefully going to get the crossmember installed today. That's my game plan anyways. Haha

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Update!

The jeep is sitting on all four wheels now!

I am in the process of running the fuel and brake lines, as well as will have to measure for the driveshaft.

I'm thinking I'll get a Tom Woods drive shaft.

I also repainted my tailgate and hinges. But I think I got them a little dark :( I still need to do a final sanding on get rid of the orange peel look.

After I get the hinges installs and since I have my license plate mounted I can install my gas tank and fill her up! Lol

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I definitely need to weigh this thing and get new spring rates.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Here we go.

It's on it's own weight, finally got my
New rear driveshaft, went with Tom woods, it turned out pretty good.

I need new spring rates for sure, and still need to install the rear sway bar. But it flexes very well right now.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:02 am

Looking good!

What are those 4 things that look like bolts through your frame for?
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:19 pm

sherwoodiv wrote:Looking good!

What are those 4 things that look like bolts through your frame for?
Those area indeed bolts. My rear suspension setup is a dual triangulated 4 link. The lower links mount to the outboard of the axle, and come together in the middle between the frame. Those bolts you see area what is mounting the cross member that holds the lower links. They are sleeved and through bolted. so there are 8 grade 8 bolts holding the cross member in place and then the bolts that actually mount the links.

I was able to drive this thing recently as i installed the tail lights, at least where they will most likely go after i install the corner armor. it drives straight but boy is it a stiff ride.

There are a few things i need to address still, and i may need some help and advice.
The rear brakes are dragging significantly. I am presuming the problem is from my inline E-brake modification, from undercover fab, and am trying to tweak that, however i'm also going to have to modify the way it works slightly. i also am looking into finally changing the proportioning valve to actually accommodate using disk brakes in the rear.

The steering has a spot where, when turning slowly/slightly to the left (like going around a left turn on the freeway) it just stops and doesn't want to go without more force. i have to look at the steering linkages. i think its something from the steering wheel to the steering box, but i'm not certain.

Then there is the problem with my transmission. When its cold it doesnt do this as badly as once ive driven it for a while and it has gotten warmed up. Shifting into 1st gear from a stop is nearly impossible. it is extremely hard to do. Also, when sitting on flat ground with the clutch peddle fully depressed, if i try and put it into 1st gear, the jeep will try and creep forward slowly. when trying to put it into reverse, if i go slowly, it grinds significantly, like i haven't depressed the clutch peddle at all.

Then the last issues i'm having with it are that its just taking me forever to finish the armor install on it. the boat sides and front fenders need to be modified to fit together, and then the rear wheel wells need to be cut out as well as the holes for the lights. then painted.

I later this month i hope to have enough money to weigh and purchase new spring rates for this thing from PAC.

i will post picture of these things soon, but i broke my iphone and wont get a new one for a week or so.
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Glenn, this build is looking awesome. On the steering issue, when I did my body lift I lenthened the pivot mount by an inch as well. I'd also look to see if the stabilizer has moved around where it rubs the drag link or other parts of steering linkage. With that front steering stretch, you might want to call the vendor to see what they think, too.

Good work, young Jedi!
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 am

Boodyrider wrote:Glenn, this build is looking awesome. On the steering issue, when I did my body lift I lenthened the pivot mount by an inch as well. I'd also look to see if the stabilizer has moved around where it rubs the drag link or other parts of steering linkage. With that front steering stretch, you might want to call the vendor to see what they think, too.

Good work, young Jedi!
Hey thanks, master Jedi! lol

As for the binding issue... It's not a steering stabilizer issue because it doesn't have one. Lol

I will call TnT Customs this week and see about this kit.

I don't get it :(

Also I still need to swap transmissions. I don't wanna do that.
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!