98 TJ Frame Swap

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Re: 98 TJ Frame Swap

Post by JackPangborn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Damn...whats the reason? Is it to angle the axles in a bit? Also, any preference on brands for the arms?

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 pm

When you run a stock slip yoke the pinion angle matches the output angle of the transfer case
With a slip yoke eliminator CV drive shaft the angle of the pinion matches or is 1 degree off from the angle of the driveshaft.

http://www.customdriveshafts.com/selection.asp

I'd say the preferred ones are metal cloak or currie. Currie created the johnny joint. If it's got a Johnny joint it's probably about the same as a currie upper.
I personally have Clayton with Johnny Joints. The lowers are bushings on one side and johnny joints on the other.

MetalCloak has some new flexy rubber joint that is a little like a johnny joint and the softer ride of a rubber bushing.

Rubicon Express are probably just fine too.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into the adjustable control arms. The JB SYE came in but i'm going to try to tackle the tub next.
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG
Got a lot of rust i'm going to try to grind around to see where I have good metal. Once I establish what i've got I will cut out what I need to and weld in new sheets. I'm going to buy those replacement rails where the body mounts sit.
I'll also need some replacements on a few stock items like the body mount rubbers, skid plate bolts, bump stops, etc. Anyone have experience with Davey Jeep? Looks like you can get used stock items for a decent price.

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 am

Anyone know what length bump stops I need with a 4" lift? I'm looking at a pair on Quadratec that say "extended". Is that good enough or do I need a specific length?

frosty

Post by frosty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 pm

They would probably work. Best option is to flex everything out and then order the specific length you need.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:19 am

Oh true. That's a good idea. Thanks frosty!

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Little set back today. Tub caught fire....shit happens.
image.jpeg

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Spontaneous combustion is a bitch

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Yea it wouldn't be a rebuild if something didn't catch on fire right? Hahaha......haha...ha. Shit...

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 am

Started working on the tub and found a TON of rust. Coupled with the recent fire damage behind the instrument panel it is just a mess. Found a tub with little to no rust and all electrical still intact behind the dash so we're good to go again.
IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4336.JPG
The new tub is blue but I think i'm going to stick with the white like I had. Was thinking about using Rustolium paint and primer just to cut back on the cost of automotive paint. Anyone have suggestions on this? Is it a good or bad idea?

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Wed May 18, 2016 8:07 am

The fire should have been the tipoff, white Jeeps have been known to be cursed!

Seriously, though, all things being equal I'd rather paint the front clip, windshield, and doors than the tub. That, and I'd want the patriot blue over white.

Unless you're stripping it down to bare metal the primer isn't necessary. Just scuff up and clean the existing paint really well, then get to shooting. Once you've got the coverage you want I'd go with a couple coats of clear coat even on a budget paint job.

If you ever want to line the tub (hint: you want to line the tub), now is the time.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

frosty

Post by frosty » Wed May 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Rear wheel wells on the fire tub any good?
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Rustoleum is soft and scratches very easily. It also isn't much cheaper than base/clear automotive, especially since you have plenty of space to set up a plastic sheet spray 'booth'. Harbor freight sells a decent hvlp gun for well under 100 bucks. Practice on the bottom, you'll get decent results that will last way longer than rustoleum. Also Eastwood has some reasonably priced kits. Pm me, I'd love to check out how it's coming in person.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

JackPangborn
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by JackPangborn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 pm

ReneDave - I wasn't aware of the white Jeep curse! The rust and the fire definitely make sense now. The blue does look pretty sweet but after having two white jeeps i'm a little attached to the color. The tub is all clear so it shouldn't be too hard to shoot it. Got it sitting on the new frame this past weekend so things are finally starting to look like progress!
IMG_4430.JPG
Frosty - The wheels wells are a little rusty at the bottom. I tried to get some pictures this weekend but it's a little hard to tell until I get the fender flares off. On the top side of the tub they look good except in the top back corners where the roll bars mount. There's a good patch of rust there.
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4443.JPG
Boodyrider - Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if Rustoleum would be perfectly fine or if it would be better to go with something else. I'll check out Eastwood and some other base paints. Feel free to stop out! I work on it on the weekends. The shop is in Hagerstown almost in Waynesboro.