Custom Skid plates for transmission/oil Pan

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Dynosoar

Re: Custom Skid plates for transmission/oil Pan

Post by Dynosoar » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah mine's bolted to my RE long arm skid with no issues. Might seem obvious, but when making your measurements, make sure you allow for both vertical and lateral driveshaft movement during flex so your DS doesn't hit your skid. You might also want to taper the rear mounting holes and use countersunk bolts to keep it all flush. I've already ripped half the head off of one of my bolts and I've only had it installed for a few months.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:01 pm

slvrjp00 wrote:I've got the halltrail engine skid and had no problem making it work with my Tera belly up.
How flat is your belly up? Mine is a flat as possible without inverting the skid plate... I'm fairly certain my drive train is actually "diving" towards the front of my jeep. not much, but i'm pretty sure it is.
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:16 am

slvrjp00 wrote:I've got the halltrail engine skid and had no problem making it work with my Tera belly up.

I actually had problems with Halltrails not being long enough for my Rokmen Tummy Tuck http://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-high-clear ... y-pan.html It fit fine with my stock skid. I suspect the rokmen skid is not as long front to back as the stock skid.

I put a ratchet strap on the front of Halltrail's skid and connected it to the rear bumper to pull it back. Otherwise the skid wasn't nearly close enough to bolt to the flat part of the transfer case skid.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:02 pm

sherwoodiv wrote:

I actually had problems with Halltrails not being long enough for my Rokmen Tummy Tuck http://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-high-clear ... y-pan.html It fit fine with my stock skid. I suspect the rokmen skid is not as long front to back as the stock skid.

I put a ratchet strap on the front of Halltrail's skid and connected it to the rear bumper to pull it back. Otherwise the skid wasn't nearly close enough to bolt to the flat part of the transfer case skid.
Gotcha, i'll have to fab up those brackets and and arms, then measure the distance that way. do i have to drill holes in the engine mounts, or are there all ready holes? (i haven't looked yet)

Also, would drilling a hole in the frame under the mounts and tapping them be an okay idea?
SUBMARINER

98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:26 pm

The holes are conveniently already there. There is some space in there to hold the nuts as you tighten the bolts. Why would you want to drill and tap holes in the frame?
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Dynosoar wrote:The holes are conveniently already there. There is some space in there to hold the nuts as you tighten the bolts. Why would you want to drill and tap holes in the frame?

He's a Marine... They love doing shit the hard way! :lol:
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Boodyrider wrote:
Dynosoar wrote:The holes are conveniently already there. There is some space in there to hold the nuts as you tighten the bolts. Why would you want to drill and tap holes in the frame?

He's a Marine... They love doing shit the hard way! :lol:
To be honest I didn't know there were holes there. Haha

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep it updated when I get around to making something. Money is tight right now :(

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Sometimes it pays to do your Recon. Ooo-RAAH
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 am

I did my recon and I see that there are indeed two holes ripe for the bolting. Haha

I found a few metal supply stores out here in going to go price sheet metal and angle

Would 3/16 be thick enough for either the angle, bracket, and/or skid?

Or should I stick with the 1/4" stuff?

Were the brackets that bolt to the engine mounts made out of angle, the. Bent?

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm

1/4" or don't bother.
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:10 pm

I was leaning towards that but was thinking about cost.

It shouldn't be too much of a difference though.

I'm going to price metal today. And then update my build thread haha

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

Steel Blue Build

Thanks Mike!