'03 TJ Gas Skid Recommendations

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Dynosoar

'03 TJ Gas Skid Recommendations

Post by Dynosoar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I am bashing up my gas tank skid good and it's becoming apparent that I am going to need one that can take more punishment soon. I don't have a body lift anymore so I need one that is easy to install without a BL. I also would like it to be easily pushed back towards the bumper more to give my track bar more clearance. So far, I am interested in both the Savvy and the Rokmen and am leaning towards the Savvy. Anyone have any experience with either of those or any other brand that you'd recommend or tell me to stay away from? Not sure I really care if it is aluminum or steel.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

slvrjp00
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: '03 TJ Gas Skid Recommendations

Post by slvrjp00 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:13 pm

My poison spyder gas tank skid had held up awesome over the past 12 years. If I were to purchase a new one I'd go rokmen and it would be steel.
I would rather smash my nuts with a rubber mallet than listen to you tell me how cool your jeep is!
RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

My rokmen has kept my work bench exactly where I put it
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

JeepGuy21

Post by JeepGuy21 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:41 am

I have the Savvy gas tank skid underneath my Wrangler. It is a well constructed skid plate, lightweight and provided a small amount of additional clearance. I'm not aware of any track bar interference but the top of my diff cover does hit it on hard impacts. The aluminum will gouge and eventually dent under enough use...

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 pm

I have so much lift that I don't think my diff would hit anything. The one thing I'm worried about with the Savvy is that it will gouge like you said and not slide over rocks as easily as the Rokmen should. But I like how the Savvy doesn't require spacers to install without a BL. And that I wouldn't have to paint it. I've seen Bud's Rokmen and it was quite impressive though. Looks like it's bomb proof.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

cmecha

Post by cmecha » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:33 pm

I have the savvy, it is very nice the one thing I will recommend if you get it is to buy steel bolt "keepers" also gushing is very minimal, ray Wolfe runs a savvy as well and has held up well to his abuse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

1984 jeep CJ donated to jeepless jeeper

2006 silver TJ, slowly but surely

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:38 am

I have Savvy. Just get it. It's very close to stock in weight, which is not at all true of any steel skid.. It'll scratch, but doesn't rust, and it will NOT hang you up. It can be used as a jacking point, hell, you could probably use it for a place to put jack stands if you wanted. It's ZERO maintenance, never has to be painted, and it'll take anything any of the other gas tank skids I've ever seen made by anyone will.

It installs without a body lift, and if you later get a BL, you can move the tank up accordingly.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 pm

JeepGuy21 wrote:I have the Savvy gas tank skid underneath my Wrangler. It is a well constructed skid plate, lightweight and provided a small amount of additional clearance. I'm not aware of any track bar interference but the top of my diff cover does hit it on hard impacts. The aluminum will gouge and eventually dent under enough use...
If you end up parting out your TJ, I call dibs on your gas skid if it's not too beat to hell and I don't buy one sooner.

cmecha

Post by cmecha » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:09 am

Just buy the Savvy, also 4lowparts.com has the best price.
/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

1984 jeep CJ donated to jeepless jeeper

2006 silver TJ, slowly but surely

renbert

Post by renbert » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 am

Savvy gas tank skid a perfect choice if your rig has a body lift because you can raise the tank up.