Passing MD Inspection

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Passing MD Inspection

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:56 pm

I have a Mississippi Jeep that found its way to Maryland when I came up here. My 2002 TJ is running a 4" suspension lift and 35" MTZ's. I was reading through all of the MD rules and regs for getting a vehicle inspected so it can be licensed here and a few measurements came up.

Correct me if I am wrong...

No more than 20" for the frame

No more than 28" for the bumpers (front and rear)

My problem - I just measured my frame at 20.5". Do vehicles ever get looked at after the initial inspection?

Second question - has anyone successfully run metalcloak 6" arched fenders on their rig and passed MD inspection and/or never been stopped by l/e?

I know I can: Drop my tire pressure, get 1" shorter springs, temporarily swap in 33" tires for the inspection, etc...

Scott
Scott

2002 TJ / 6 cyl / 3550 / 35" MTZs / 4" Pro Comp / Awaiting D44s

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
"The measure of a man’s greatness is not determined by what he accomplishes for himself, but by what he accomplishes for others.” -- Some Bald Guy

sherwoodiv

Re: Passing MD Inspection

Post by sherwoodiv » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm not sure anyone has measured my bumper and frame during an inspection.

My YJ passed with 33's and about 4" suspension except for tire coverage so I swapped on stock tires
My TJ passed with 35s and also about 4" lift with the flat bushwhacker flares.

I put 6" MC arched fenders on my YJ. I never got hassled for it, but I know they would not pass inspection, they had less tire coverage than the extended flares on the YJ that covered all but 1/2" of the tread. I have seen a lot of people running tube fenders without sufficient coverage and they also reported not having problems.
I've heard of people using garden plastic trim to extend their tire coverage.

Your biggest problems will be tire coverage. MC offers an 8 inch flare now if this is really a concern, but I'm honestly not sure that will pass inspection it only extends the flare 2" where it connects to the tube fender.

You can be pulled over for anything that would fail inspection and it would need to pass a inspection for the fix it ticket by MSP. It really comes down to how old you are, how you drive, and how blatant you are, and if the cop cares to do anything.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Thank you. I am in the process of putting on bushwacker flat flares right now, but I really like the MC's.
Definition of irony - I am a l/e officer.
Scott

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
"The measure of a man’s greatness is not determined by what he accomplishes for himself, but by what he accomplishes for others.” -- Some Bald Guy

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:13 pm

In MS we don't have these issues. I have buddies in the Southern Mississippi Jeep Club running 44" tires with no fenders and it is fine down there.
Scott

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Scott B. wrote:In MS we don't have these issues. I have buddies in the Southern Mississippi Jeep Club running 44" tires with no fenders and it is fine down there.
MD knows what is good for you and don't you forget it!

The flares should be enough unless you're running wheel spacers or adapters. I'm the inspector will find plenty other obscure things for you to fix. Good luck with those stuck screws. I think i managed to get behind one with vise grips and definitely cut some off too.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:28 pm

sherwoodiv wrote:
Scott B. wrote:In MS we don't have these issues. I have buddies in the Southern Mississippi Jeep Club running 44" tires with no fenders and it is fine down there.
MD knows what is good for you and don't you forget it!

The flares should be enough unless you're running wheel spacers or adapters. I'm the inspector will find plenty other obscure things for you to fix. Good luck with those stuck screws. I think i managed to get behind one with vise grips and definitely cut some off too.
lol. Thanks again for the advice! I tried getting at the studs from above and from below. I couldn't even come close to them. I am a rather large and lumpy fellow. :lol:
Scott

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I thought the lowest point of the frame couldn't be higher than 28"? I haven't heard of there being a different measurement for the bumpers. My TJ was a monster when I first bought it and it passed with no issues. 5.5" suspension lift and 2" BL with 35" tires. Wheel coverage by the fender flares seems to be the biggest issue. There are no re-inspections after the first one, so just get her to pass once.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks. If I can get these dang bushwacker flat flares on I will see if I can sneak it through.
Scott