YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Jeep TJ Fender Flares - I Need Help

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the middle of swapping out my stock fender flares on my 2002 TJ for a set of Bushwacker flat flares. I got both rear flares off but the front flares are kicking my butt! I got all of the mounting screws out of the flares with the exception of three on each side. The three mounting screws closest to the door on the front flares spin and don't come out. It doesn't look like there are nuts in the sheet metal and there are no plastic blocks like on the other mounting screws. I have tried pulling outward on the flare while turning the screws and that didn't work.

I have beer and pizza for anyone who can help me get these darn things off so I can finish this project!

Scott
Scott

2002 TJ / 6 cyl / 3550 / 35" MTZs / 4" Pro Comp / Awaiting D44s

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
"The measure of a man’s greatness is not determined by what he accomplishes for himself, but by what he accomplishes for others.” -- Some Bald Guy

Dynosoar

Re: Jeep TJ Fender Flares - I Need Help

Post by Dynosoar » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 pm

I've had that problem with my stock flares. A few of the screws screw into rivets that are in the sheet metal and the rivets will spin in their holes. I was able to reach up into the fender area with vice grips to keep them from spinning. I think I then replaced some of the rivets with those plastic nut thingies that all the other screws screw into. Could also cut the heads off with a dremel or something, like Bud said.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Considering ALL options. :D

For something that originally looked like a simple afternoon job this has really kicked my butt.
Scott

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell
"The measure of a man’s greatness is not determined by what he accomplishes for himself, but by what he accomplishes for others.” -- Some Bald Guy

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Fenders are always more frustrating than I think they should be. Can you reach your hand up into the space directly behind the fender arch by going up through the bottom and feel for the rivets I was talking about?
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:59 pm

I have been under the Jeep and can see the three studs from under it. My big arm won't come close to letting me reach them.
Scott

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Did you figure it out?

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:34 am

Dynosoar wrote:Did you figure it out?
Not yet - working long hours in DC so it will have to wait until a weekend when I have some time.
I make the crawl down 270 every day...
Scott

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 am

If you ever want to make a detour and take 295 north one day after work, you could stop by my house and I'll help you out if you still need help. I live right off 295.

Scott B.
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by Scott B. » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Dynosoar wrote:If you ever want to make a detour and take 295 north one day after work, you could stop by my house and I'll help you out if you still need help. I live right off 295.
Thank you! I will hit you with a PM.
Scott