Getting (off)Road Ready

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

DahGhai

Getting (off)Road Ready

Post by DahGhai » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:23 pm

I've had my jeep for too long to have not been off roading. So I've decided it is time to take a proactive approach to improving my jeep but I have many questions and not being to mechanically savvy myself, solutions are hard to come by. I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable Jeepers could help out a rookie. Surfing forums becomes tedious and difficult when some of the terminology is unknown. I have started a checklist and while I have the basic concepts and ideas written down I want to get deeper. I've got a couple questions written down, but I am actively searching for answers too. Not trying to be a freeloader ha-ha thanks for your time.

For starters, '99 TJ 2.5ltr I-4cyl 5spd SE

1. Besides essential equipment, what could be considered required vs suggested?
2. how important is it to have a CB radio? I doubt I would need one but if I got one, what would be the best setup? Handhelds or the mounted ones? I heard a rumor about CBs being illegal in MD for personal use but found no mention online.
3. I'm debating if I should have a tow hitch attached, even though i plan on front and rear hooks. what are your experiences?
4. I'm looking into replacing the original spare with a full size replacement, but I am unsure of what rim I have. Where can I get an answer?
5. I think my radiator has a leak, is that something where I should go oem or can I get a cheapo one?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, thanks again for reading this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JeepGuy21

Re: Getting (off)Road Ready

Post by JeepGuy21 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:09 pm

1. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15689

2. Some form of communication between you and your group is a good idea, if you don't have a CB at least exchange phone numbers. A properly tuned antenna is more important than an expensive radio.

3. I am going to assume that you have a stock bumper, I would replace it with an aftermarket unit that incorporates a hitch mount and/or recovery points. The factory hitch only lowers your ground clearance as it mounts underneath the bumper and could get you hung up while out on the trails.

4. Jeep Wrangler TJ is 5x4.5 bolt pattern, most likely a 15" wheel. See post #10 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock ... ns-452871/

5. OEM

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:28 pm

DahGhai wrote: 1. Besides essential equipment, what could be considered required vs suggested?
2. how important is it to have a CB radio? I doubt I would need one but if I got one, what would be the best setup? Handhelds or the mounted ones? I heard a rumor about CBs being illegal in MD for personal use but found no mention online.
3. I'm debating if I should have a tow hitch attached, even though i plan on front and rear hooks. what are your experiences?
4. I'm looking into replacing the original spare with a full size replacement, but I am unsure of what rim I have. Where can I get an answer?
5. I think my radiator has a leak, is that something where I should go oem or can I get a cheapo one?
Everything Dylan said was wrong. JK
1. To highlight that list, you have to have a front and rear recovery point to wheel at Rausch.
2. Not that important, I got by a long time in the middle of the pack without one, you just have no idea what is going on, why you're stopped and where youre going without getting out and chatting.
3. Don't add a tow hitch if you don't have one. Most aftermarket bumpers have a tow hitch but aren't certified to tow. Hopefully you at least have the rear tow hook. If you get a full size spare 33" or bigger you might be considering a tire swing out carrier anyways or risk bending your tailgate
4. The backspacing/offset is also important to match. The rim size is the last number of the tire R15 is a 15" rim. 4" backspacing is common and desired. I think my wheel had that stamped on the inside.
5. How bad? If you just think, it could just be a hose leaking. I went with a cheapo one and had no problems, but generally you get what you pay for.

I'd recommend you disconnect your sway bar in the garage. I couldn't get mine off on my TJ, the disconnects were frozen. On my YJ and first time out I had no idea I was supposed to disconnect it and we did it on the side of the trail.

Make sure you can get into 4 lo, since the linkage can be an issue and was a recall on some TJs.

Check your ujoints on the rear driveshaft and axles. That's about all you can do and stay out of the deep water as tempting as it is.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

DahGhai

Post by DahGhai » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 pm

Brilliant, thanks guys. I am sure I will repost tomorrow with more questions ha-ha. It sounds like I'll be seeing the parts guy soon

DahGhai

Post by DahGhai » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Oh heres one for everyone before we call it a night; do those radiator plugs work? It's a constant, minor leak so I do have to add but not terribly often. So I was curious if anyone is aware of any good plug-stuffs?

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Rear recovery point made easy. Drill one hole and bolt in. I have had to use these. If you need one of these J-hooks, I just happen to have a pair. You only need one though.

Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

DahGhai

Post by DahGhai » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Nice DIY work BLK00TJ, I'm going to be looking into new bumpers and fenders but I will certainly get in touch with you if I decide to take that direction. Thank you buddy!

DahGhai

Post by DahGhai » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:24 am

Actually, how much would you let those go for BLK

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 am

PM sent.
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong