Reputable Death Wobble Shop

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

sibehuskies

Reputable Death Wobble Shop

Post by sibehuskies » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum, but enjoying all that I have been reading for quite a while now. Bought my oldest son a 2006 Wrangler and for reasons unknown it has a case of Death Wobble. Brought it to a shop here in MoCo that supposedly knows jeeps and now 12 days later still can't figure out what is causing it.

Anyone know a reputable place to bring it? It is killing me to be without a car while my oldest drives mine to school!

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help for a new member.

Pete

tealo951

Re: Reputable Death Wobble Shop

Post by tealo951 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Montgomery county? Hmm.. I'm not sure of any shops do that way..

Posting for more people to see.

I'm not sure how far from Westminster you are, for Appalachian off-road.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:58 pm

I don't have any shop advice for you, but my death wobble was easy to see.

I had someone in the drivers seat with the jeep on, rotating the wheel back and forth from 11-1 gently. It was easy to see which tie rod ends were bad, they moved. It was also to see my steering stabilizer bushing had some play in it. Anyone that says a new steering stabilizer will fix it you should run from.

This is for the JK but the parts and principles are about the same.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/diag ... s-1052221/

I ended up replacing a track bar, drag link tie rod end, and fixing my alignment. It still had a death wobble. The tires were so unevenly worn I'm not sure if was fixable. I ended up replacing them anyways because I wanted 35s and I haven't seen a wiggle since then.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:53 pm

Look at the trackbar ends too. Really closely.

Sent from a 53.
USMC
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!

sibehuskies

Post by sibehuskies » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:40 am

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I am hearing that Mid Atlantic 4x4 is pretty good option as well. The jeep is still at the shop, so I will have to get it back first to try and test the dry steering as recommended. This has been a bit of nightmare!

I appreciate all the help!

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 am

Whatever shop you have it at is incompetent.go get your Jeepnimmediately, and refuse to pay any diagnosis fees.
The take it to either Appalachian Off-road in Westminster or to Adrenaline off-road in burtonsville. Either of those iS competent, and should be able to find the loose steering components in a few minutes.

Or continue to play with unknown quantities.

12 days is insane.

Get Jeep back, put someone in drive seat with steering unlocked and engine off, have them slowly move steering wheel from 10 to 2 or 11 to 1. Lay under the front with good light and closely observe all steering components. Look for any unusual movement, especially ANY at either end of track bar, or any play at pitman arm other than rotation... Up and down at pitman means pitman arm splines wore out.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:57 am

Also just get under there and make sure every nut and bolt you see is tight. I had death wobble and it was because of a loose track bar bracket.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Redtoplessjeep

Post by Redtoplessjeep » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:27 am

I had the wobble also... After $$. I changed the tires and it worked. Tires were not worn but the weights needed to be changed and put new tires On it and it worked.