Lift Kit Install - HELP

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Alabama Jeep

Lift Kit Install - HELP

Post by Alabama Jeep » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello, everyone!

I am new to the Jeep world and live in Bel Air, MD. Hailing from the great State of Alabama, off-roading is a familiar pastime. However, I have only owned Toyotas in the past. Just recently, I acquired a 1989 YJ Wrangler (Base, 6-cyl, automatic). I am going to install a lift by myself for the first time in the next month or two. Today, I ran into a guy at Advanced Auto driving a YJ. I picked his brain about lift kits for a bit, and he mentioned that someone in my local Jeep Family may be willing to help me install it. He advised me to sign up on this Forum and the Chesapeake Bay Jeep Club. So, here I am! :D

Right now, I will be driving this Jeep twice a week to work, which is about 35 miles away. Considering same, I don't want to go too big. So, I am looking at a 2.5 inches suspension lift and a transfer case drop kit. Do y'all think this setup will fit 33x12.50s without an issue? Please share any ideas that you may have.

Also, if you happen know any one willing to help me install a suspension lift, I would greatly appreciate the referral.

Thanks a million,

Zach

sherwoodiv

Re: Lift Kit Install - HELP

Post by sherwoodiv » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:42 pm

You may or may not have drive line vibrations with that setup. Are you planning to offroad the jeep at all? If you are, you'll have rubbing issues with the 33s.

The internet says you have 3.54s, I never drove an auto jeep but 5th gear was worthless in my YJ with 3.07s and manual. The tire size will directly impact that so depending on your goals you might want to go smaller. 35s definitely will not fit with a 2.5" lift.

You may or may not need new nutserts if you drop the skid. They tend to rot out. In fact I'd avoid doing the Tcase drop and seeing if you need it. You might even be able to get away with shimming the axle but I'm not too sure.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nutse ... ll-390635/

You might not even need a second person with the right amount of jack stands. Leaving the axles in place you could lift each side of the axle and lower the stands to accommodate the bigger lift.

Good luck!
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:13 am

Buy a good penetrant jb80, seafoam lube, or the like. Spray any and all bolts you even think you might need to turn. Hose them down at least once a day for a week.
Then find someone with an oxy acetylene torch. You will almost certainly need it.

Correct tools. Big Fn hammers. Big prybars.

I approve of doing your own work, but don't fantasize it will get done in one day, nor start if this is your only transportation. Removing crusty old shocks and springs is a crappy job. you need d time, tolls, help, and plenty of extra cash if stuff breaks along the way.
Also... Examine frame and all else for that came before you start. A pretty nice w lift on a rust holes frame is kinda pointless.

Been there, did it wrong, learned, did it right, broke it, did it again...lol

As for 33s.,. I've got auto 35s and 4.88s. Run the calculators, but it think 3.54 and 33s\auto should be OK on the road, mine is aimed more at power but I turn over 3000 rpm on the highway and get poor fuel economy.

as far as lift and fitting\vibes...rotate rear axle with shims and leave the tcase alone. If you gonna drop the tcase, might as well skip the lift as far as off-road breakover clearance goes. Instead mentally prepare for the cost of the SYE and raise the tcasee with a Flatt(er) tcase pan, get clearance, and stay low and stable on biggish tires. Raised bumpstops can I p tires out of the fender at a cost of uptravel and therefore ride comfort
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Yeah you might spend an entire day just cutting rust-welded bolts off. If you don't have a plasma cutter, make sure you have a sawzall with plenty of new metal cutting blades. Anti-sieze every new bolt you use.
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Alabama Jeep

Post by Alabama Jeep » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Wow, guys. Thanks a lot for all the great advice. Some of this is a bit out of my league, so I need to research some of it.

Considering I will be driving the vehicle to work only twice a week, what do you think the best setup would be to accommodate 33x12.50? I will not be mud-bogging, rock climbing, or the like in this Jeep. I will probably just trail ride occasionally, tour the county when it snows, and possibly go through some mud once per year :D ). I just want an aggressive look with some decent clearance and humming tires :D .

Thanks,

Zach

Dynosoar

Post by Dynosoar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Have you thought about going the body lift and maybe flat fender route? There's a lot less involved with that. Just be sure you really aren't going to do more than drive it to work and through some mud now and then. I originally didn't envision doing any serious wheelin either, but I caught the bug very quickly.

Check out Metalcloak fenders--they claim they will allow you to run 33" tires with no lift. They are expensive though, so a body lift and cheaper tube fenders might be better if money's an issue.

http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrangler ... -s/285.htm
'03 TJ - RE long arms - ARB's - 35" Baja Claw TTC's - Revolution chromoly D44 rear - HP D30 front with Warn hub conversion - Teraflex high steer system - Rock Hard sport cage - Rough Country rear track bar - Halltrail engine skid - Rampage rear bumper - Engo 10K winch - H4 LED headlight conversion - Metalcloak 6" dual-rate springs and 8" fenders

Alabama Jeep

Post by Alabama Jeep » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Yea, I cannot drop 2k on fenders at the moment, haha. But, I'll bookmark the site for down the road. Thanks!

I have considered a body lift, but most Jeep guys I have chatted with encouraged me to go with the suspension lift incase I get loftier ambitions down the road, as you are suggesting.

If I do go the suspension route, what type of setup would you recommend?

Thanks so much for all y'all's help.

tealo951

Post by tealo951 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:32 pm

there are plenty of websites that have "what lift will fit what tire" sections, quadratec.com 4wparts.com 4wd.com and they can help you determine that. once you've found one you like, will fit your budget, and has decent ratings, bring that back here and we can talk about what else you may need for it to work correctly, properly, and ride/handle well.

as for body lifts, sometimes they are a necessary evil, if you will. I have a 1.25" body lift on my jeep. however, i also have a 1" motor mount lift, a completely flat belly, and i have also since moved the body mounts of 8 of the 11 mounts higher for more clearance, which would not have been possible without a body lift.

If your plans are just that, to have a good looking, good riding jeep, then by all means, just do a well designed and built lift kit, with good shocks, some upgraded steering, and you will be happy. but remember you get what you pay for, and some companies have better warranties than others.
SUBMARINER

97' Black TJ Sport - Sunk and dispersed
98' Gun Metal Pearl Tj Sport - 16" Fox front, Radius arms, TNT front stretch, 3" BDS outback, boat sides, Metal cloak, Corbeau CR1, 3 point harness, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, Custom exhaust, Fabtech bumper, high rock 4X4 rear bumper, HPD30 w/ OTK steering, auto locker, RCV Shafts, 8.8 w/ Artec truss, 4.10's, custom crossmember and flat skid

Steel Blue Build

One Fine Wrench, Mike will fix it up right: 4109228080
Thanks Mike!