TJ clutch bleed

YJ, TJ, JK

Moderator: Board of Directors

Wallie1337

TJ clutch bleed

Post by Wallie1337 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I know this sounds ridiculously simple... does anyone know how to bleed the master/slave cylinders?

I have a 2002 TJ sport. The clutch goes soft if I ride it, usually when I'm sitting in traffic jams or starting on an incline. Basically I will feel first gear start to engage and then it's extremely difficult to force it out of gear. After I get it in neutral I can pump the clutch and its back to normal. I suspect it's just some air in the lines. No big deal right? I've done it on my other cars, loosen the bleeder screw yada yada yada.

However I may possibly be an idiot, but I don't think there is a bleeder screw on the Slave Cylinder? I've googled and checked on other forums... I've seen people say everything from, "just take the cap off the MC and pump the clutch, it will forced the air out itself" to "they aren't suppose to be bled and just replace the MC & SC" to "take the SC out and manual pump the SC to force the air out...". I would like to try bleeding the clutch first and if that fails, just spend the cash and replace the MC & SC...

Before I go bats**t crazy with every option or spending $200 on parts, has anyone had first hand experience bleeding the MC/SC?

Thanks for any advise!
Wallie

“All of life's problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you need duct tape. And if it doesn't move and it should, you need WD40.”—Unknown

Manic_Mechanic
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Re: TJ clutch bleed

Post by Manic_Mechanic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 am

i copied this from jeepforum.com hope it helps and is what your looking for. also welcome to the forum

I must have read through a 100 posts that all contradicted each other about slave cylinders. Most said the clutch hydraulic system was a sealed system that must be replaced as a unit and cannot be bled. Funny thing is I bought a slave cylinder at autozone, Part # LSC309 for $55.99. You don't need to spend about $200 on an entire system. Why change the master cylinder and line if you don't need to?

NOTE: Leave the stupid bleeder screw alone on your new slave cylinder, it is worthless. Keep it closed.

Here's what you need to do:

1. On the left side of the transmission locate the slave cylinder and remove the two 13mm (1/2") nuts.
2. Take the bad slave cylinder out of the transmission.
3. Remove the roll pin out of the slave cylinder (the small round hollow pin in the slave cylinder near where the line enters it). Just find something about the same size and beat it out, I broke the end off of a file at squeezed it out with pliers but I'm sure a nail or anything the right size would work.
4. Attach line to new slave cylinder and re-insert the roll pin. Again pliers work great. If you stretched out the roll pin just re-squeeze it with pliers or a hammer.
5. Remove cap from clutch master cylinder (make sure to remove the plastic liner from the master cylinder if it is unattached from the cap, THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT TRUST ME!)
6. Fill the master cylinder with dot-3 brake fluid about half way.
7. Slowly manually pump the slave cylinder by hand until you no longer see bubbles coming out of the master cylinder. (Be sure to keep enough fluid in the master cylinder so you don't suck air back down) It only took me about 20 pumps to get all the air out. Yours may take more or less.
8. Once the air is out put everything back together and check your clutch, you should now be done.

If you have any questions PM me. I don't know how much time I spent reading posts with wrong info, that's why I posted this, I couldn't get a straight answer from searching so hopefully someone does a search some day and doesn't waste all the time I did. My TJ is a 98. I can't promise yours is the same as mine but I bet it is. If your not sure go to autozone.com and see if they sell a slave cylinder for your jeep. If it's the same part number then you CAN change your slave cylinder and bleed it.
"better to burn out, than fade out"
"Hungry?, out of work?, then eat your import"
"cant find it, grind it"
"any resto needs two things time and money the less of one you have the more of the other it will take"
"when the time is 4:55 all i can think about is Pontiac"

Wallie1337

Re: TJ clutch bleed

Post by Wallie1337 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for the help... yeah, I've done tons of online research too. And like you, noticed there is about a dozen conflicting tips on bleeding the clutch for a TJ. Anywho, pulled the slave out. No fluid leaks anywhere... manually pumped it (TWSS!) and found no leakage again. Then had someone pump the clutch the same way I would when it would go spongy, and tried my best to counter-press the slave. Annnndddddd it didn't go spongy. So I'm assuming it's the clutch plate?
I appreciate the assistance... thanks man.
Wallie

“All of life's problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you need duct tape. And if it doesn't move and it should, you need WD40.”—Unknown