Web Wheeler

dana 30 locker check list

Post by theotherwhitemeat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 pm

ordered this
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-drive ... el-30.html

lock right locker

also a HD diff cover
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-XTREME-DIF ... a8&vxp=mtr

do I need a new carrier? should I get a master install kit with all new bearings? or is that more for when doing a new ring/pinion gear set?

thanks

tyler

Re: dana 30 locker check list

Post by tyler » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:47 pm

nope just pop it in, no need for other the stuff unless your bearings are jacked, should be good to go!

Lukipela

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

That diff cover is a piece of shit, have fun cracking it on the first rock you hit. Should have gotten the ruff stuff diff cover if your going to polish your turd of a front axle. Otherwise you got a good locker, you shouldn't need anything else to install it, just read the instructions and it should pop right in
01 xj... locked, loaded, and ready to hit the trail
2014 Ford F-350 - the DD

Chris

"My God...look at all of those stickers. That thing must do like 230 mph! They have to strap it down to keep it from rocketing into low Earth Orbit..."

theotherwhitemeat
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by theotherwhitemeat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:04 pm

cancelled the ebay one, ordered the tough stuff cover.

thanks!

Lukipela

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Ruff stuff and order it from know where 2 jeep they will do you right
01 xj... locked, loaded, and ready to hit the trail
2014 Ford F-350 - the DD

Chris

"My God...look at all of those stickers. That thing must do like 230 mph! They have to strap it down to keep it from rocketing into low Earth Orbit..."

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:13 am

I got myself a solid diff cover and aussie from knowwhere2jeep.

You might want to consider new axle seals because you need to remove the carrier and since you're already in there. And I have no idea if you have the disconnect axle or not, or if it is even a thing to upgrade the axles, but I wish someone told me about putting TJ axles in my YJ when I did the locker.

I'd avoid anything to do with bearings and such, because I think you basically have go through the gear mesh process like regearing.

And had I known I'd be changing the milky diff fluid, seals, lockers, etc I wish I got a reusuable seal the first time. http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Dana- ... ube+locker It's pricey, but if you scrap the gasket off enough times and screw up the RTV once and it leaks it will save you time and money.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

BLK00TJ

Post by BLK00TJ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:26 pm

theotherwhitemeat wrote:cancelled the ebay one, ordered the tough stuff cover.

thanks!
You're gonna need longer bolts for that cover. Ask me how I know dat.
Ron

'00 TJ, 5spd, 4" suspension + 1.25" BL, 33x12.5 GY Duratracs, 185k+ miles and going strong

wrks6
The Board
The Board

Post by wrks6 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:27 pm

sherwoodiv wrote:And I have no idea if you have the disconnect axle or not, or if it is even a thing to upgrade the axles, but I wish someone told me about putting TJ axles in my YJ when I did the locker.
And had I known I'd be changing the milky diff fluid, seals, lockers, etc I wish I got a reusuable seal the first time. http://www.amazon.com/Lube-Locker-Dana- ... ube+locker It's pricey, but if you scrap the gasket off enough times and screw up the RTV once and it leaks it will save you time and money.
It's an upgrade because you are eliminating the vacuum disconnect motor, which fails often, especially if you do water crossings. It isn't really upgrading the strength of the axles unless you are moving from the older 260 u-joints to the '95+ 760 u-joints. Other than that the intermediate shaft is pretty beefy for a D30.

It is not technically a reusable gasket. This was a big misconception a few years ago. It is great for trail repairs with less mess to clean up (and no waiting for RTV to cure). It can be reused in a pinch, but chances are it will weep on you once it is taken off and put back on. I've seen a few that haven't leaked when they were reused, but most have enough of a drip that it would frustrate some people. From LubeLocker:
Question 5: Is this gasket reusable?
Answer: Probably a few times. We will not endorse reuse. We will tell you that people have done it and it has worked. We will not tell you how many times. It depends greatly on the application, interval between disassembly, and "environmental factors".
kNOw Where 2Jeep
717-739-8029
www.knowwhere2jeep.com

sherwoodiv

Post by sherwoodiv » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:15 pm

wrks6 wrote:
sherwoodiv wrote:And I have no idea if you have the disconnect axle or not, or if it is even a thing to upgrade the axles, but I wish someone told me about putting TJ axles in my YJ when I did the locker.
It's an upgrade because you are eliminating the vacuum disconnect motor, which fails often, especially if you do water crossings. It isn't really upgrading the strength of the axles unless you are moving from the older 260 u-joints to the '95+ 760 u-joints. Other than that the intermediate shaft is pretty beefy for a D30.

It is not technically a reusable gasket. This was a big misconception a few years ago. It is great for trail repairs with less mess to clean up (and no waiting for RTV to cure). It can be reused in a pinch, but chances are it will weep on you once it is taken off and put back on. I've seen a few that haven't leaked when they were reused, but most have enough of a drip that it would frustrate some people. From LubeLocker:
Question 5: Is this gasket reusable?
Answer: Probably a few times. We will not endorse reuse. We will tell you that people have done it and it has worked. We will not tell you how many times. It depends greatly on the application, interval between disassembly, and "environmental factors".

Good to know, I'll reuse it till it leaks and consider it YMMV. Or bust amazon for their first bullet and get one for free.
91 YJ with some rust
01 TJ barely legal

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Lube locker: IF you never ever get brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner on it, I have been able to reuse 4 times so far without leak. Solvents WILL destroy them. I also torque to spec, not "two grunts" so that may help. I love 'em, never going back to RTV.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

cmecha

Post by cmecha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 pm

That's all I use now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_)

1984 jeep CJ donated to jeepless jeeper

2006 silver TJ, slowly but surely