Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by nezumi » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm driving an '05 Liberty CRD I just got a few months ago. It has the neat tire pressure gauges to tell me when the tires are low.

A few weeks ago, it started blinking and the overhead said to check the spare tire. I know that can't be right because there's no sensor in the spare tire (or so says the manual). All of my normal tires are up to par (actually 35 psi lukewarm, when it should be 33. Bad me), and the spare is in the garage, not connected to the jeep at all.

Any idea what this is really trying to tell me? Is my truck able to detect the air pressure of the spare even when its stowed in the garage? Is it some sort of an error I can reset easily somehow? The manual says nothing.

Thanks in advance!
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

User avatar
JMM
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 am
Location: Jefferson, MD.

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by JMM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 am

nezumi wrote:I'm driving an '05 Liberty CRD I just got a few months ago. It has the neat tire pressure gauges to tell me when the tires are low.

A few weeks ago, it started blinking and the overhead said to check the spare tire. I know that can't be right because there's no sensor in the spare tire (or so says the manual). All of my normal tires are up to par (actually 35 psi lukewarm, when it should be 33. Bad me), and the spare is in the garage, not connected to the jeep at all.

Any idea what this is really trying to tell me? Is my truck able to detect the air pressure of the spare even when its stowed in the garage? Is it some sort of an error I can reset easily somehow? The manual says nothing.

Thanks in advance!
"I know that can't be right because there's no sensor in the spare tire (or so says the manual)." Not sure that makes any sense, seems to me that they would put the sensor(s) on all the wheels since during "normal rotation" any one of them could be on the ground at any time. Not sure what the technoloyg on those but if it is a wireless signal, as long as the tire is within signal range it would not matter if the wheel/tire was on the vehicle or not.

You may want to post your question up on one of the KJ specific forums such as:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/index.php

or

http://www.lostkjs.com/ (which I seem to be having trouble getting to this morning)
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

User avatar
TJGreg
In the NAVY
In the NAVY
Posts: 3007
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:54 pm
Location: not America
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by TJGreg » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 am

Makes sense to me that if the vehicle can't sense any pressure (i.e. the tire not in proximity of the vehicle) it is going to read it as 'low' or 'zero.'
non sibi sed patriae
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

User avatar
TJTank
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2028
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: Owings Mills
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by TJTank » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:24 am

with no spare are you just depending on the kindness of others if you get a flat
2002 Dodge 2500 6spd CTD w/ some stuff
98TJ Sport Gathering Parts / Holding down Bosleys Jackstands

Thanks to: Adventurous4x4, Reid Racing

Cheap Bourbon Whiskey and Pearl Snap Shirts

[quote="NavinRJohnson"]Yea, turns out I didn't air down in utero and choose the perfect line out my my mother's labia rockin 35's sniffing out broken rock. We were newbs too, you know.[/quote]

User avatar
ReneDave
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm
Location: 'naptown

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by ReneDave » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:48 am

The blinking light means a problem with your spare tire - in this case a lack of signal. There is definitely a tire pressure sensor in all the stock tires for the '05s and later, however, there's no receiver for the spare tire - its sensor is polled by the receivers in the front wheel wells. If I remember correctly you might be able disable the spare tire warning using the overhead EVIC, but I see no good reason to not carry a spare tire with you.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

User avatar
ReneDave
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm
Location: 'naptown

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by ReneDave » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:51 am

JMM wrote:http://www.lostkjs.com/ (which I seem to be having trouble getting to this morning)
Yeah, LostKJs has been down for a week or so. :(
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by nezumi » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:22 pm

Alright, I suppose wireless detectors make sense :P I sort of feel silly now having asked, but now I know!
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

User avatar
JMM
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 am
Location: Jefferson, MD.

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by JMM » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 am

Soooooooo - now that has been figured out lets take it out and wheel it!
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by nezumi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 pm

I hit Green Ridge a few weeks ago (just in time to catch the first frost). I probably will be keeping the truck stowed away until springtime though. We aren't so keen on chilling our buns when camping : ) But I will be watching the "trail rides" for anything else that comes up and seems fun for a weekend with the kids.

(I gotta say though, my electric bun-warming seats are really nice. I bought the truck because its diesel, but we got a lot of nice luxuries that came with.)
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

User avatar
Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?
Posts: 7113
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Bel Air
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by Cowboy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:05 pm

A Libby is not a "truck".

A Libby with the CRD is not a "truck".

An SUV..? Maybe...my Jeep is not an SUV....but then again my Jeep isn't a truck either...My Jeep is a Rock Crawler.

I have a Pick-Up, it's a Chevy 1500 Z-71, if it was a 2500 I might consider it a truck....

Green Ridge is not "wheeling"....

My appologies for the hate...I'm tired....The gas can is/was overflowing....
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

User avatar
JMM
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 am
Location: Jefferson, MD.

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by JMM » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:56 am

Cowboy wrote:A Libby is not a "truck".

A Libby with the CRD is not a "truck".

An SUV..? Maybe...my Jeep is not an SUV....but then again my Jeep isn't a truck either...My Jeep is a Rock Crawler.

I have a Pick-Up, it's a Chevy 1500 Z-71, if it was a 2500 I might consider it a truck....

Green Ridge is not "wheeling"....

My appologies for the hate...I'm tired....The gas can is/was overflowing....

Wow - that sounds like something you would hear on one of "those other sites"....
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

User avatar
m-l_johnny
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: Bakerton, WV
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by m-l_johnny » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 am

JMM wrote:
Cowboy wrote:A Libby is not a "truck".

A Libby with the CRD is not a "truck".

An SUV..? Maybe...my Jeep is not an SUV....but then again my Jeep isn't a truck either...My Jeep is a Rock Crawler.

I have a Pick-Up, it's a Chevy 1500 Z-71, if it was a 2500 I might consider it a truck....

Green Ridge is not "wheeling"....

My appologies for the hate...I'm tired....The gas can is/was overflowing....

Wow - that sounds like something you would hear on one of "those other sites"....
Cowboy cannot accept the notion that just getting off the pavement to enjoy the outdoors/ scenery with some friends can be wheeling. He and a few others on here feel that unless one is running blacks/ reds and breaking ones equipment then it's not "wheeling".
Hi. I'm Johnny.... And I'm a Jeep addict....

'76 CJ7 money pit of fun.
pics here

I am not Jonny Throttle.

Yes, I really am as stupid as I look.

User avatar
Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?
Posts: 7113
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Bel Air
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by Cowboy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:04 pm

m-l_johnny wrote:
JMM wrote:
Cowboy wrote:A Libby is not a "truck".

A Libby with the CRD is not a "truck".

An SUV..? Maybe...my Jeep is not an SUV....but then again my Jeep isn't a truck either...My Jeep is a Rock Crawler.

I have a Pick-Up, it's a Chevy 1500 Z-71, if it was a 2500 I might consider it a truck....

Green Ridge is not "wheeling"....

My appologies for the hate...I'm tired....The gas can is/was overflowing....

Wow - that sounds like something you would hear on one of "those other sites"....
Cowboy cannot accept the notion that just getting off the pavement to enjoy the outdoors/ scenery with some friends can be wheeling. He and a few others on here feel that unless one is running blacks/ reds and breaking ones equipment then it's not "wheeling".
Correct!
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

User avatar
dan58
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by dan58 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Cowboy wrote:
m-l_johnny wrote: Cowboy cannot accept the notion that just getting off the pavement to enjoy the outdoors/ scenery with some friends can be wheeling. He and a few others on here feel that unless one is running blacks/ reds and breaking ones equipment then it's not "wheeling".
Correct!
I'm going to have to agree with Cowboy. Running greens and being offpavement with no obstacles is pleasure driving without the aid of asphalt. You can call it discovering nature, but calling it wheeling is a bit of a stretch.

User avatar
wesleypipesyo
Autoerotic Post Whore
Autoerotic Post Whore
Posts: 9199
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:46 pm
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Spare tire pressure low light blinks... for no reason?

Post by wesleypipesyo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:48 pm

dan58 wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
m-l_johnny wrote: Cowboy cannot accept the notion that just getting off the pavement to enjoy the outdoors/ scenery with some friends can be wheeling. He and a few others on here feel that unless one is running blacks/ reds and breaking ones equipment then it's not "wheeling".
Correct!
I'm going to have to agree with Cowboy. Running greens and being offpavement with no obstacles is pleasure driving without the aid of asphalt. You can call it discovering nature, but calling it wheeling is a bit of a stretch.

Lets go ahead and call greens and light blues offroading, because you are offroad. We will call damage causing purples/blacks/reds wheeling....
:jeff
jeepboy wrote:I'm not a fan of electric lime so I'm in!
NavinRJohnson wrote: And I was like: you want an angle grinder to the face old man?
clicky

01-20-13

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest