Diesel Particular Filters/post-injection implemented on '05?

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Diesel Particular Filters/post-injection implemented on '05?

Post by nezumi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty. I was doing some research and wondering if it implements Diesel Particular Filters (DPF) with post-injection regeneration. I know it's implemented on a bunch of 2007 and later vehicles, including the new Grand Cherokees, but I wasn't sure how far back this implementation goes (or really, where to look to find out).

Also, is it just me, or is jeep.com completely useless for looking up technical details? Is there another official site that addresses stuff like this better?

Thanks!
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Re: Diesel Particular Filters/post-injection implemented on '05?

Post by Cowboy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 pm

It sounds like you're referring to the particulate filter in the exhaust system, that "low sulfur" diesel vehicles have. It looks like a second Cat, but in reality is a particulate filter. I believe vehicles with that requirement started production in '07. One thing to note, it is "just" a filter, and can be replaced should it get clogged from the use of non-low-sulfur diesel (i.e. the old stuff), however it should be kept in mind, those filters are quite expensive; in the $8-10,000 range IIRC.

Hope that helps.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by nezumi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 pm

$10k?!? :shock:

Thank you for the information. I was looking into it in regards to biodiesel, since apparently the DPF results in more fuel leaking back into the oil, which is a bad thing as biodiesel is more reactive than normal diesel.

But again, thank you for the quick response there.
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

Cowboy
Got Tow-strap?
Got Tow-strap?

Post by Cowboy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Well, the $10k price I through out was for a larger vehicle like a Sprinter van; but, smaller ones for passenger vehicles are probly still very expensive.
'16 JK Rubicon
'16 JK-U Rubicon
'18 JK-U Altitude
'18 H-D Street Glide
Past Jeeps:'14 JK-U Rubicon, '05 Deflowered TJ Rubicon, '87 YJ Laredo

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra