Stupid maintenance question (CRD)

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Stupid maintenance question (CRD)

Post by nezumi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:23 am

Alright, stupid question time (although I stumped the mechanic, so it can't be that stupid...)

I have an '05 Libby CRD. The book says every 12,000 miles or so, to "drain and refill" the front and rear axle fluid and every 60,000 miles to "drain and refill" the transfer case fluid.

1) The mechanic said with most cars you need to FLUSH those ($109), not just drain and replace ($70), but he isn't so familiar with CRDs, so he might be wrong. Which should I be doing?
2) How hard is this to do myself, and where would I find out how? The manual has something really brief about the transfer case, but not the axle fluid (or is this not something I should attempt, being someone who doesn't even own a proper wrench set yet)?
3) I bought this used at 56k miles. They said they'd done a super maintenance job on it. For my records, should I start counting as though I bought it new (i.e. at 62k do the 6k service, 68k do the 12k service and so on)?

Thank you!
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

ReneDave

Re: Stupid maintenance question (CRD)

Post by ReneDave » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:34 pm

The diffs and transfer cases on the CRD libbies are just like those on any other. I don't know what the hell a flush would be on any of those, other than what I would do with a mechanic trying to charge you that much for changing the fluids.

On the front diff and transfer remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug to empty. Spray a healthy amount of brake cleaner in the front diff, and make sure to remove it all (I use a shop vac on the drain hole. Reinstall the drain plugs, and fill with the recommended amount of the proper fluid. The front diff should be 1.5 quarts of 75w90 gear lube, the transfer case 1.5-2.0 quarts of ATF+3 or ATF+4 transmission fluid.

On the rear diff you'll need to remove the diff cover to drain, carefully clean the diff cover and housing with a gasket scraper and brake clear, apply a bead of RTV silicone, and reinstall the diff cover tightening the bolts in a cross pattern to 30 foot-lbs. Give the RTV a few minutes to cure, then fill with 2.0-2.5 quarts of 75w90 gear lube (make sure to add friction modifier if your rear diff is limited slip).

Can you do it yourself? It's not tough with a bit of mechanical ability. You'll need basic wrenches and a set of allen wrenches for the drain and fill plugs (the fill plug on the front diff might require a 3/8" extension, I can't remember).

Follow the maintenance schedule as laid out in the manual starting where the previous owner left off. There's things that should be done at higher mileage (transmission fluid and filters, serpentine belt) that shouldn't be pushed off.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

W3CSX

Post by W3CSX » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Dave covered the procedure pretty good. Follow his steps and you will be home free. The one exception is the grade of oil. CRD's spec out different grades then there gasoline counter parts. The CRD's came with and recommend using:

-75W-140 synthetic for the rear axle.*
-80W-90 synthetic for the front axle.
-ATF+4 in the x-fer case and transition.
-0W-40 synthetic motor oil for the engine.**

* It doesn’t mater if you have the towing package or not. Some Jeeps will spec out 90 weight and tell you to upgrade to the 140 synthetic weight if you tow. The CRD recommended the higher grade right off the bat.

** The 0W-40 can be hard to find. When I had my diesel. Moble 1 was the only one who had it. Check Wal-mart (of all places) they usually kept it in stock.
'07 JK Rubi 2 door.
RE 4.5", 35" MT's, 4.88's, Warn M8000, On board Air, Ham Radios, Skids, and a few other toys.

"The more one spends and adds to his Jeep, the more one discovers he needs to correct, spend, and then add again, to fix that which didn't exist before the initial expenditure and add-on..."

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Yeah, with the heavier weight of the CRD the heavier gear lube makes sense in the diffs. As for the transfer case, Jeep recommends ATF+4 just to keep the fluid standardized between the transmission (which requires ATF+4) and the transfer case. ATF+3 was the original recommendation, and since ATF+4 is backwards compatible, use whichever is cheaper. Wal-Mart also has the best deals on Mopar ATF fluids that I've ever seen - less than half what the dealer charges on ATF+4 bottles.
"I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind."

nezumi
Web Wheeler
Web Wheeler

Post by nezumi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:25 am

Thank you very much! I'm going to try to tackle this myself this weekend (here's hoping I don't cause irreparable damage! Oh well, only one way to learn.)

I am a little surrpised the mechanic clearly had no idea what I was talking about. That said, the mechanic also put 5W35 in my truck when he changed my oil (or so says the receipt). On the plus side, I'll get him to leave the skid plate off when he changes it again.

I don't know if I should be worried or not that I apparently know more about this than my oil-change guy - and it took me six months to figure out how to take the heat shield off the engine.
'05 CRD Libby
Jeeper in training (apologies for all the questions!)

98ZJHagerstown
Trail Rated
Trail Rated

Post by 98ZJHagerstown » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:26 am

sounds like you should just keep your "oil-change guy" strictly on oil changes... ( even tho he apparently can't do that right? lol) I think if I were you I would consider finding a whole new shop to do your work. If you post up on here with your location I'm sure someone in the area will post up some good garages or mechanics. (might even be some in the club)
98 ZJ 5.2L
92 XJ 4.0L

Beer is Good... People are Crazy...