Rear Bumber is in!!!

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 am

ReneDave wrote:
wesleypipesyo wrote:Dave, I think you should trade your washer lift to him for that bumper. You can always go out and get some more .30 cent washers.
Sweet deal! He may not go for it, but I could make a killing packaging these...

On sale now: custom designed 1/2" lift kit for the Jeep Liberty - Only $59.99*!!!
Any perceived resemblance to Home Depot 2" conduit nuts and rear OEM spring isolators is purely coincidental.
*Required installation fee of $400 not included

:mrgreen:
Today - getting ready to head down and start the tear down now...

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:27 am

Tear down is at 99%. Going to be an interesting excercise in logistics to get the bumper on and the MOPAR hitch (would be a piece of cake if I had 2 more arms and hands) :?

Cut outs completed and primed will paint and then it is off to pick up the bumper and a quick stop by the Jeep dealer in hopes that they will have the rivits and clips (only trashed one of the clips but the rivits cannot be reused - if I had know that I would have drilled the out :!: ) I need to put the fender flares back on - darned one time useage parts :x

Here she is at the end of stage 1:

pookie

Post by pookie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:28 am

Wish I would have known I might have been able to come help you out.

I did change the oil and air filter this morning. Off to see if I can locate the wiring harness now.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
2002 KJ Silver Liberty Limited Stock
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby
1994 Grand Cherokee Stock and well abused

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 am

pookie wrote:Wish I would have known I might have been able to come help you out.

I did change the oil and air filter this morning. Off to see if I can locate the wiring harness now.
If you have the cycles come on by - will probably be out for an hour or two at the max picking up the bumper and misc parts. Call me on my cell if you want - 240 381-5007...

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:40 am

Pop rivets are a dime a dozen - I pick them up at Ace Hardware by the gross. Hold the back with vice grips and drill 'em out is the way to go! If you've never used them before use spring clamps to hold together what you're riveting - it's the easiest way to make sure you get a snug fit.

What did you have to cut to get the bumper to fit?

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:47 pm

ReneDave wrote:Pop rivets are a dime a dozen - I pick them up at Ace Hardware by the gross. Hold the back with vice grips and drill 'em out is the way to go! If you've never used them before use spring clamps to hold together what you're riveting - it's the easiest way to make sure you get a snug fit.

What did you have to cut to get the bumper to fit?
May have to look at some aluminum rivets if I have a problem with the plastic ones - seems they have a larger shaft than the steel or aluminum ones and my rivet tool will not work with them… I am not able to find anybody that has one - several that can order me one but nobody has one in stock...

Had to notch the pinch weld see below:

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm

Here is the "almost finished" product...

Have to get a nut to put on the shaft that is the center of the tag assembly to allow me to get it level.

I know the shot of the rear sucks, not sure why but it does...will get a final series tomorrow...

The color came out way lighter than anticipated - will have to do something about that...

JMM

Finished for now...

Post by JMM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Well - it is on, all in all am pretty happy with it, not so happy with the way the color came out - is defiantly lighter than the sample I looked at before it got painted...oh well it will do for now - I am looking for a suitable color and figure I have time to hunt it out.

It went on fairly easily - the instructions were good and the work was not that hard. For the most part one person can do it but you really want that second set of hands around when you go to set that puppy, and to make sure it does not fall on you as you are getting those initial bolts started.

You cannot have enough jack stands!

The bumper is well made and fit like a glove!

Figuring how I wanted to rig up the tag light was fun!

If one is going to do this there are definitely things you want to have before you start.

1. Did I mention that you cannot have enough jack stands?

2. Those darned plastic rivets and rivet tool. The plastic rivets have a larger diameter shaft than their metal counterparts and as such one cannot use their rivet tool they have for the aluminum or steel rivets. I ended up using some of the trim dowels (do not know what to call them) and they will do for now, they are holding and it is snug will replace them with the rivets once I have the paint thing figured out.

3. A can of undercoating. Once you open up the rear there I found some areas that appeared to have only primer on them so I shot those.

4. A length of wire – depending on what you are going to do with the tag. A couple of water tight connectors for the tag light lead. So you can easily disconnect the tag light should you actually need to use the spare.

5. Some silicon sealer – to close up the hole in the tailgate door to facilitate running the wire for the tag light.

6. That 18mm ratchet wrench for that one bolt that is just above the tail pipe!

Next up – Frankinlift!

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Congratulations, that looks absolutely sweet! Great job putting it together, and I can't wait to see you put it to the test on the trail. :smt003

BTW, why stick with the Mopar hitch? Do you need more towing capacity than the bumper hitch is rated?

slvrjp00
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by slvrjp00 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Wow iam not into KJ's but thats a nice rear bumper cant wait to see with a lift and some bigger tires. may actually have a change of heart to the libby.
I would rather smash my nuts with a rubber mallet than listen to you tell me how cool your jeep is!
RCROCS Class 2 #628 Team Minor Threat
Thanks to my sponsor Appalachian Offroad

pookie

Post by pookie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Are those the 245X75's you got from the dude in PA?

I like the bumper by the way.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
2002 KJ Silver Liberty Limited Stock
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby
1994 Grand Cherokee Stock and well abused

JMM

Post by JMM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 pm

slvrjp00 wrote:Wow iam not into KJ's but thats a nice rear bumper cant wait to see with a lift and some bigger tires. may actually have a change of heart to the libby.
Thanks!

JMM

Post by JMM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:07 pm

ReneDave wrote:Congratulations, that looks absolutely sweet! Great job putting it together, and I can't wait to see you put it to the test on the trail. :smt003

BTW, why stick with the Mopar hitch? Do you need more towing capacity than the bumper hitch is rated?
I wanted to stay with the MOPAR hitch mainly because the the 2" receiver on the bumper is not class III rated but as it turns out the bumper receiver is blocked by the spare in it's current position - as I move forward I may go ahead and get the tire and gas can add on(s) available but that won't be until after the lift if at all...I may go ahead and pull it off if it turns out that I scrape it when I go off roading but we will see...

JMM

Post by JMM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:10 pm

pookie wrote:Are those the 245X75's you got from the dude in PA?

I like the bumper by the way.
Those are the wheels but the tires on there are the 225s I had to go out and get due to the rubbing issue(s). The look wider because of the 8" wheels and taller because the springs on there are "sagging" a bit..

JMM

Post by JMM » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 pm

I finally found a color that I felt matched the front close enough and last week while tooling about in the Outerbanks shot the rear - I think it came out real close in the long run.

Here it is!

Next up - Frankenlift and Al's Uppers!
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Going
00 Ex