Towing Hitch

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

rynosback

Towing Hitch

Post by rynosback » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:13 am

Should I go with the Jeep hitch and wiring harness or go after market? The wiring harness from Jeep looks better with a plug and play set up, no splicing wires. Will the 4 wire connector attach to the Hitch and have that protective cover on it? It looks like in the picture that it has the 7 pin connection with the hitch.
2007 Jeep Liberty

JMM

Post by JMM » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:47 am

If you go with the factory hitch then you may want to pick Pookie's brain to get the scoop on an after market harness. I went the factory and needed to install 2 harness one of which I did (the rear one) but the one that runs from the rear all the way up front into the dash through the headliner I had the dealer do and they only charged be 200.00 bucks for that! I thought that was a little extreme.

The hitch is fine and bolts right up - if you are thinking about the skids you may want to do the hitch and the gas tank skid at the same time since they mount using the same bolts.

I also went with the MOPAR skids and they seem fine...
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

pookie

Post by pookie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 am

I have an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness on mine. I got them from a local shop near me. I think I paid maybe $100 for the hitch, and $43 for the wiring harness. The wiring harness is seriously a no brainer. If you can find it I truly recommend going that route. After I found it for a price I wanted it only took 15-20 mins to install. That simple really. And I'm the guy that never has a project go right. The harness I have is the 4 prong type with a cover. I zip tied to the hitch, but I left it a where it can be lengthened in case I need a little bit of extra wire. The aftermarket warning harness also came with a wiring diagram and all that good stuff. I got both my hitch and wiring harness from a place up near me. If you want I can get the # for you. I'll pick it up and pass it on to you at the Fredrick meeting on Weds if you want. (by the way I have no affiliation with that store, they just did me right so I will refer them to others)

The hitch I got is a Reese one and it is really nice. Fits snug up underneath the bottom and mounts with 3 bolts per side. I used an impact gun to drive the bolts up into the frame.

And just so you know, the KJ is rated to tow 5000 lbs. I towed a car on a car dolly all the way from SC with no problems. And I've used it to tow my M416 around, but that trailer is really light.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
2002 KJ Silver Liberty Limited Stock
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby
1994 Grand Cherokee Stock and well abused

rynosback

Post by rynosback » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:15 pm

This is what I am between.
82207290 Hitch Receivers, Wiring Harnesses - Trailer Towing Packages Trailer Tow Wiring Harness Kit, with 4-way flat connector, plugs directly into vehicle wiring, no splicing required $91.00

with the factory hitch
82207535 Hitch Receivers 5,000-lb tow rating, 500-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing Hitch and cooling fan kit (see Trans cooler listing); otherwise 2,000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating; 2 opening, with receiver plug. Ball sold separately $183.00

I like this one, because it looks like it protects the trailer connector.

OPTION # 2 is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 55206&rd=1

With a after market hitch.
2007 Jeep Liberty

pookie

Post by pookie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 am

I have option #2 or one very similar to option #2 but I didn't pay $183 for it. :shock: I paid $43 from a local shop. They have all kinds of wiring harnesses and hitches for all vehicles. Plus they have RV stuff. Let me know and I can hook you up with the #. Plug and play and its super easy.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
2002 KJ Silver Liberty Limited Stock
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby
1994 Grand Cherokee Stock and well abused