New Lift for the KJ - Drooooollllll

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33 am

I sure they improved them over the old set of Frankenlift instructions I saw: "Install new front struts. Install rear spring spacer and spring. Install new rear shocks." :smt119 :lol: You shouldn't have too much trouble - just keep taking nuts and bolts off and eventually the front struts will just fall out. The back is even easier, you just may need to jack up the other side and for someone to stand on the hubs to make enough room for the new springs to fit in. Can't wait to see it all together!

pookie

Post by pookie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:41 am

Save those instructions for me if they are useful.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
2002 KJ Silver Liberty Limited Stock
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby
1994 Grand Cherokee Stock and well abused

JMM

Post by JMM » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:20 am

Welllllllll - went ahead and started the install - instructions say it can be done with one but recommend that you may want to have a second set of hands....welllllllllll...

started with the front since figured that woudl be the hardest - the tear down was easy enough but am having a heck of a time getting the new strut to go in there.....cannot get the lower control arm any lower without removing the front drive shaft at least and really do not want to do that.

Off to see if I can find a set of spring compressors so I can get this guy installed!

One thing is for sure - the Jeep is down until I get this one figured out.
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Going
00 Ex

pookie

Post by pookie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:29 am

Advance or autozone should have spring comressors for rent. Really its more of a loan thing but they should have them.
Current Jeep
2007 JK Sahara Unlimited, Steel Blue, 6spd, 4.10's, 33X12.5's, some other cheap stuff

Former Jeeps
1997 TJ Gun Metal Blue 4"RC Lift running 33 X 12.5 motivated by that monster 2.5 4 cyl.
1980 CJ 5 Smurf Blue, stripped rhino lined interior motivated by the Iron Duke baby

TJTank

Post by TJTank » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:57 am

they are pretty cheap to buy
2002 Dodge 2500 6spd CTD w/ some stuff
98TJ Sport Gathering Parts / Holding down Bosleys Jackstands

Thanks to: Adventurous4x4, Reid Racing

Cheap Bourbon Whiskey and Pearl Snap Shirts

[quote="NavinRJohnson"]Yea, turns out I didn't air down in utero and choose the perfect line out my my mother's labia rockin 35's sniffing out broken rock. We were newbs too, you know.[/quote]

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:11 pm

Why do you need a spring compressor, I thought the struts came preassembled? If they're not, don't worry about it too much. PepBoys should be able to assemble them for you pretty inexpensively.

tjforme

Post by tjforme » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:34 pm

i wonder how johns doin with this
2000 TJ

My girlfriend wants to know where she can buy Jeep-scented perfume, so I will pay more attention to her.

God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep tire side down.

JMM

Post by JMM » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:22 am

Wanted a spring compressor so that I could compress the front spring and strut assembly so that I could get the darned thing seated - even with taking off the brake line I could not get enough travel out of the bottom control arm to get the strut to seat in the clevis. The compressor did the trick.

So far I have one installed - right front, the left front is going to be a pain in the rear only because getting to the rear upper control arm bolt is nasty we will see.

I cannot wait to get to the easy ones - the rear...hopefully today I will get the thing wrapped up.
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Going
00 Ex

pookie

Post by pookie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:12 am

how about some pictures.
Current Jeep

Former Jeeps

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:37 am

Gotcha. Yup, getting the cleavis bracket to line back up with the lower control arm is a PITA. If I recall correctly we had to disconnect the upper ball joint, connect the cleavis to the lower arm, then reconnect the upper ball joint.

tjforme

Post by tjforme » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:55 am

ill be honest if you libby guys put a 6inch lift on and 31/33s what ever fits ill be excited for you
2000 TJ

My girlfriend wants to know where she can buy Jeep-scented perfume, so I will pay more attention to her.

God grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails I cannot crawl, courage to crawl the twisted trails I can and the wisdom to keep tire side down.

JMM

Post by JMM » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:15 pm

UPDATE:

The front is done - another day of the Libby kicking my arse....but the front is done. Ended up with a little more than 4.5 at the skid (the lowest point on the ride) went from alllllllmost 6 to just a hair over 10.5.

Will tackle the easy part tomorrow - the rear.

Will get pics tomorrow when its is done.
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Going
00 Ex

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:21 am

Sweeeeeeeeet! Sounds like you must have had an inch or so of sag on the stock springs, that's a huge difference! The lift will sag a little bit as it settles in, but you should have around 10" of clearance plus whatever you get from the bigger tires. That's awesome on a Libby!

JMM

Post by JMM » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:05 am

So far so good - minimum sag factor - just finished installing the WARN winch - will see how much difference that makes, good thing is that it has the synthetic rope on it and not the steel cable so saves some weight there.

This weekend was a busy one for the Libby - got the winch installed as well as installed the hookup for the CB - came out pretty nice (for me) got to figure out what I am going to do for an antenna - am pretty much set on setting it up with a splitter that will allow me to mount it where the stock antenna is and then split it out to do both the good time radio as well as the CB, for now though will be using a hand held.

Also have a line on a set of wheels with some 245s on them - plans are to mount the 245s on the Soft8s and put the 225s on the new wheels for day to day stuff.

If this works out next up pounding the pinch weld and antenna, but now I am off to do so much needed yard work...looks like my next trail ride will be the Veterans Day ride up at RC.

Will be at Ledo's Wednesday!
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Going
00 Ex

ReneDave

Post by ReneDave » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:27 pm

At this rate John you'll run out of things to do before the new year! :lol: Good luck with the tires, and I can't wait to get a look at it. As for the CB antenna, I'm still using a borrowed magnetic mount. Someday I'll have everything else done that's higher on the priority list, and I'll work out a permanent mount.