Wheels and Tires for the lil' Red Wagon

KJ

Moderator: Board of Directors

MPETE

Post by MPETE » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 am

JMM wrote:\
Also I found out today that I am leaking out of the rear diff so am going to plan on getting a new diff cover and getting that fixed...
IRONICALLY I noticed this past weekend that I am leaking at the rer diff as well
its leaking at the lower right side of the diff cover. I guess I caught a rock last time at RC and pulled it away just enough to start seeping. saturday was the first time the jeep has really had any kind of cleaning since RC 11-10
hell its only had about 500 miles put on it since then and 250 of that was this past weekend
its not even dripping its just got a bit of residue around that area of the diff
I am gonna smack it with a hammer and ablock of wood clean off the residue with brake clean and see if its still seeping. I cant afford a new diff cover right now so I am just gonna deal with it until I can
my revolving door of vehicles contines to spin.........
now I have a 2011 F150. 5.0L

JMM

Post by JMM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:27 am

cmecha wrote:looks good i hope to see you out there tonight
I will be there tonight - not sure what wheels/tires I will have though...right now I have the 225 ATs on there - much less noisy ride, but am planning on heading out to the Flintstone area tomorrow to do some hunting and am leaning real heavy towards mounting the 245s for the trip - just not sure if in this mess these would be the best tires for the situation...

Will probably just go ahead and mount them just for giggles....
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

MPETE

Post by MPETE » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 am

c'mon man
its just a set of tires
you drive in much worse conditions on the trail. the tires may not be the best but even with a lil common sense you should be able to drive just fine with MTR's in a lil snow and wet weather. its an SUV to begine with so you shouldnt be driving it like a racecar anyway. just take the turns with a lil caution and leave extra braking distance until you know what to expect from them. these are all driving techniques you shoulda already be utilizing in bad weather ANYWAY

the only reason I would not want them on is the same reason I am considering takin my 31's off and throwin some stockers on and that reason is gas mileage. if I plan on doing any wheeling I will put the 31's back on but for the time being since I have the option I think I am gonna throw some 225/75's on there and hopefully be able to get 25mpg or better on my trip to north carolina in a couple weeks

JMM

Post by JMM » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:50 pm

You are absolutely right - they are just tires but when you have a set of tools - I for one prefer to use the best tool for the job at hand - regardless of what my driving habits may be.

It is my humble opinion that using the tool with the best performance under a set of conditions only improves everything - including and especially the safety factor.

For daily driving(not necessarily in this order) for cost, (why wear out a set of 150.00+ a piece on the street when you can wear out 70.00 a piece tires??) comfort, noise, and for mileage the 225 ATs come out of the tool box

For off roading the 245 MT/Rs are the tool of choice.

However, since I am a new guy here and I have heard folks say that the MT/Rs suckth on wet pavement and am not sure what their handling is like in the snow - so not sure which is the best tool for the job at hand...wet/slushy/pavement

If you have any observations, experience or recommendations I would love to hear them...
See ya!
JMM
So Far:
06 KJ Sport - Gone
68 M-715 - Gone
93 YJ - Gone
00 Ex
18 JL

MPETE

Post by MPETE » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 pm

I am not disagreeing with anything you just said
BUT
you also said you are going to some trails tomorrow and you wanna have the MTRs on for that
I for one dont wanna have to get up and rush to get the tires and wheels swapped out before I leave. since you have the time today you should swap them out today. that way you are already prepared for tomorrow. its not like we are getting a blizzard tonite we are only getting a couple inches of snow I really dont think your gonna notice THAT much difference between the 2 different types of tires so why not get your tire swap now instead of doing it in the snow tomorrow
and even if we were getting ALOT of snow I would rather have the added ground clearance of the bigger tires over the easily clogged street tread
about the only time I would pick the street tires is if it was gonna be a rain event