How much to weld brackets on a ford 8.8

Appalachian Offroad is a full service shop, offering alignments, lift kit sales and installation, gearing installation and sales, custom fabrication.

for MJC members, not forum member, we will offer 10% off labor and the best prices we can on parts.

Moderator: Board of Directors

mgaither0

How much to weld brackets on a ford 8.8

Post by mgaither0 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 pm

I was wondering what the cost would be to take the brackets from my dana 35 and weld them onto a ford 8.8 so I can bolt the 8.8 onto my tj? thanks

Boodyrider

Re: How much to weld brackets on a ford 8.8

Post by Boodyrider » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:49 am

mgaither0 wrote:I was wondering what the cost would be to take the brackets from my dana 35 and weld them onto a ford 8.8 so I can bolt the 8.8 onto my tj? thanks
Bad idea to try to reuse the crappy stock brakets on another axle. Much better idea to get new heavy duty axle swap kit. Some can be had in the 200 range.
97 TJ. It has some stuff.

halltrail
The Board
The Board

Post by halltrail » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Boodyrider wrote:
mgaither0 wrote:I was wondering what the cost would be to take the brackets from my dana 35 and weld them onto a ford 8.8 so I can bolt the 8.8 onto my tj? thanks
Bad idea to try to reuse the crappy stock brakets on another axle. Much better idea to get new heavy duty axle swap kit. Some can be had in the 200 range.
I know a few who have swapped over their stock brackets that are consistently running much harder trails then most on here....not saying its the best choice if you are going through the trouble of welding on brackets..and not easy to cut them off nicely...but it can work if your are on a tight budget. Hell, I've been running stock brackets on a rear d44 for 4 years on black/reds....and only recently sheared a control arm bracket.. Yeap, bent it back in place and rewelded it on. Paul, I think you watched us run affliction with those crappy stock brackets. :oops: :D
99 TJ, 3spd auto, 4.5" BDS Lift, JKS 1.25" BL/1" MML, SYE, 36" TSL Bias, D44 rear - ARB locker, HP44-spool upfront, 4.56 gears, Hydro assist.

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:02 am

The crappy stock brackets on my old D44s held up to the previous owners abuse in competition (Erik Miller), they held up to my mild use and were still being used last I knew by the guy I sold them to.

I would not want the task of removing them with the idea of reuse. Granted a plasma cutter would probably make short work of it it.

Oh and calling Mike at Appalachian might be the quickest way to get an answer.
[quote]We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.[/quote]

Boodyrider

Post by Boodyrider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm

halltrail wrote: Paul, I think you watched us run affliction with those crappy stock brackets. :oops: :D
I believe the smiley you were looking for is :flipoff: :lol:
97 TJ. It has some stuff.